Revered Cov Cath teacher to leave next year (Mr Kaelin)

CRESTVIEW HILLS — As he begins his 50th year of teaching this week, there is little that Jack Kaelin has not accomplished.A member of the Covington Catholic High School Hall of Fame, the Newport Central Catholic Hall of Fame, the Northern Kentucky Coaches Hall of Fame and the State of Kentucky Track and Cross-Country Coaches Hall of Fame, he is also a member of the American Association of Teachers of German and the Junior Achievement Board. He also won the prestigious Golden Apple Award in 1988.

Now, at the age of 70, Kaelin serves as the Covington Catholic Bowling coach while teaching German and Junior Achievement Economics. But this academic year, he says, will be his last.

Link

Mr. Kaelin (and note to this day, to me at least, it's still Mr. Kaelin) was at CovCath prior to my attending CovCath in the early/mid 60's. What wasn't mentioned in the article is Mr. Kaelin is also in his 50th year of doing the CovCath Basketball Stats. He has given so much to CovCath, that words just aren't enough!

Thanks for posting Old Guy. Mr Kaelin is class act and is the face of Cov Cath for some of us old timers. I'll never forget seeing him at the track meets when I wore a younger mans sneakers.

Best wishes to Mr. Kaelin--people like him are what make schools like Cov Cath what they are! With a spirit that will not die!

I feel quite unfortunate that I never had a class with him while at Ole CCH. I know those who had him loved him. My only real encounter with him occurred during my senior year, when Ms. Ruth sent me and a couple buddies on a quest to snap a photo of him napping. The quest ended up being woefully unadventurous, as all we had to do was walk in his room and snap the picture.