Highlands 12 Newport 1 (6 innings)

Nice win by the Birds. JR Gabe Schultz pitches 5 strong innings. Worked ahead (7/7 on 1st pitch strikes to start the game) and continued to pound the zone once offense got him some runs. Ended up with 9 Ks.

Offense breaks loose for 6 runs in the top of the 2nd (always confusing to be the visiting team on the scoreboard at you home field) via hits, walks, errors and baserunning. Birds ended up with 12 hits.

Birds v Breds in the championship game tomorrow at Highland Park at 5:00 PM. Should be well worth the $5 cost of admission mandated by the KHSAA.

Both teams are fun to watch. Highlands is much improved compared to last season for several reasons imo. Schultz was dominant & the Birds got on base and did not leave many on base...this is a young team and the JV was solid too, future looks bright.

So if I walk my dog up to the dogpark are they going to demand $5 from me? LOL

Good Luck Birds !!! Get that District Championship.

Given the public park setting, the volunteers were asking for admission fees only from those going to the game. Frisbee golf and the dog park attendees were spared. I'm sure most cooperated without incident.