Louisville Local Primary Races

Several interesting ones, especially in the neighborhood that I, Rockmom and formerkywrestler live in.

8th District Metro Council

Democrat Tom Owen is facing a primary challenge from no less a figure than the Jefferson County Judge-Executive (a position that somehow still exists). I've always been a huge fan of Tom Owen but he really disappointed me with his strong support for the Cordish Company projects that are a massive pipeline of money leaving Louisville. Still can't imagine not voting for him for another term. He's just too cool.

19th State Senate District

Four-way Democratic Primary: an environmental engineer, two lawyers and a golf instructor. I like Sarah Lynn Cunningham personally, but I feel like McGarvey has some serious money and the big guns of the Democratic party behind him and that's tough to overcome. The winner of this primary is going to take it as no Republican is running in November. It's the Highlands... why would they bother? :lol:

48th State House District

Our own little Indiana-senate situation. This is the district I grew up in and Bob DeWeese has been the rep since I was a kid -- more than 20 years I believe. He's getting a challenge from Scott Reed, vice-president of the Louisville Tea Party.

Any other races in Louisville that the Jefferson County crowd will be following?

I'm actually registered as an Independent so my election season doesn't start for a few more months.

Poor guy, you live in the wrong neighborhood. Almost none of the Democrats in our area even have a challenger this fall.

I can't believe I forgot to name my favorite one: 42nd State House. Reginald Meeks is facing a challenger in the Democratic Primary: Wendy Caswell, president of the Louisville Tea Party. Yeah, that bears repeating. The longtime Democratic Representative in the 42nd is facing a challenge in the DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY from the President of the local Tea Party. I think she's confused.

Here's District 42... the heart of West Louisville. I'm sure the Tea Party message is really going to resonate...

House042.jpg

I can't believe I forgot to name my favorite one: 42nd State House. Reginald Meeks is facing a challenger in the Democratic Primary: Wendy Caswell, president of the Louisville Tea Party. Yeah, that bears repeating. The longtime Democratic Representative in the 42nd is facing a challenge in the DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY from the President of the local Tea Party. I think she's confused.

Here's District 42... the heart of West Louisville. I'm sure the Tea Party message is really going to resonate...

:lol:

Me too. :lol:

You? Why on Earth are you registered independent? It's like begging for disenfranchisement given where you live in the city. General elections in this part of town are afterthoughts.

You? Why on Earth are you registered independent? It's like begging for disenfranchisement given where you live in the city. General elections in this part of town are afterthoughts.

The vast majority of local elections here are predetermined. In most districts the Democrat incumbent would have to rape a minority child on a bed made of dead kittens and puppies just in order to be vulnerable.

Not that I actually have a problem with many of the local Democrats, just the ones who were in lockstep with the Cordish deal and have somehow escaped considerable scrutiny.

Oh how I miss Francene. :cry:

Call me an ideologue....I refuse to align myself with either major party...neither represent my political leanings to the degree I would associate with either. Weird, I know...I stand on principle. :D

Several interesting ones, especially in the neighborhood that I, Rockmom and formerkywrestler live in.

8th District Metro Council

Democrat Tom Owen is facing a primary challenge from no less a figure than the Jefferson County Judge-Executive (a position that somehow still exists). I've always been a huge fan of Tom Owen but he really disappointed me with his strong support for the Cordish Company projects that are a massive pipeline of money leaving Louisville. Still can't imagine not voting for him for another term. He's just too cool.

19th State Senate District

Four-way Democratic Primary: an environmental engineer, two lawyers and a golf instructor. I like Sarah Lynn Cunningham personally, but I feel like McGarvey has some serious money and the big guns of the Democratic party behind him and that's tough to overcome. The winner of this primary is going to take it as no Republican is running in November. It's the Highlands... why would they bother? :lol:

48th State House District

Our own little Indiana-senate situation. This is the district I grew up in and Bob DeWeese has been the rep since I was a kid -- more than 20 years I believe. He's getting a challenge from Scott Reed, vice-president of the Louisville Tea Party.

Any other races in Louisville that the Jefferson County crowd will be following?

I love Tom Owen...like you said, he is so cool! I run into him all the time, peddling and walking around the 'hood. Just the nicest (smartest) guy you'll ever meet. Love him!

Call me an ideologue....I refuse to align myself with either major party...neither represent my political leanings to the degree I would associate with either. Weird, I know...I stand on principle. :D

Poor fellow.

I love Tom Owen...like you said, he is so cool! I run into him all the time, peddling and walking around the 'hood. Just the nicest (smartest) guy you'll ever meet. Love him!

I have always wondered the point of even having elections in his district. The man is so popular there I am not even sure Obama could beat him in a metro council election. :lol:

The vast majority of local elections here are predetermined. In most districts the Democrat incumbent would have to rape a minority child on a bed made of dead kittens and puppies just in order to be vulnerable.

Considering they're anticipating a whopping 12 percent turnout statewide for Tuesday's primaries, you don't have to gather all that many votes in your corner to secure a primary win. That's a big problem right there.

I have always wondered the point of even having elections in his district the man is so popular there I am not even sure Obama could beat him in a metro council election. :lol:

I don't think there's an area of Louisville with a better representative. The man is literally out and about among his constituents on a regular basis. He literally is "one of us". He doesn't restrict access to community meetings and such. You can stop and chat him up anywhere, anytime. He definitely "walks the walk" too. He's been huge in getting bike lanes, etc. I know...you hate the bikes...but he's not just one to pay lip service to the issue. He actually pedals around and knows the issues. :D