Walton-Verona 2012/2013

With Sandlin and Judy returning, their inside game should be strong. Their guard play will be the key. They lost a lot of perimeter scoring and someone will have to be able to score from the outside to open up the inside. They do have a nice point guard who should be able to penetrate and dish. Hitting the shots will be the key.

Walton has 4 key players back in Judy, Sandlin, Clinkenbeard, and Mullikin, but after these 4 then there is a major drop off. I agree Walton should see a ton of zone to try to neutralize Judy and Sandlin.

Good players to build around and a good coach. I believe Coach Clink will be able to put together another run at an all a region and regular regional, no state titles for this squad. Unbelievable run last year.

Walton has 4 key players back in Judy, Sandlin, Clinkenbeard, and Mullikin, but after these 4 then there is a major drop off. I agree Walton should see a ton of zone to try to neutralize Judy and Sandlin.

I don't disagree with the thought that WV could see a lot of zone, especially early in the season. With such an excellent post combo to defend, and the perceived doubts of their perimeter shooting, it makes sense that teams will play zone. Why not "dare" Walton to shoot outside for a lower percentage shot until they can prove themselves and make teams pay with perimeter shooting.

I do however, disagree with the "major drop off" after the core four. I am not sure if the drop off refers to talent, or something else, but Walton does have some players on their roster, other than the four mentioned, that can and will contribute. They also have some players that are very capable of shooting teams out of a zone. Perhaps because of age or having to sit behind a talented group this past season, these other girls are unproven and unknown, but I do believe that some folks may be surprised to see Walton will not be as bad as some think on the perimeter.

Maybe its the fan in me, or maybe it is the potential that I think I see, but I am going out on a limb and saying that before next season concludes, Coach Clinkenbeard and Coach Sullivan will forge this group into a team that will make opponents think twice before they zone.

I don't disagree with the thought that WV could see a lot of zone, especially early in the season. With such an excellent post combo to defend, and the perceived doubts of their perimeter shooting, it makes sense that teams will play zone. Why not "dare" Walton to shoot outside for a lower percentage shot until they can prove themselves and make teams pay with perimeter shooting.

I do however, disagree with the "major drop off" after the core four. I am not sure if the drop off refers to talent, or something else, but Walton does have some players on their roster, other than the four mentioned, that can and will contribute. They also have some players that are very capable of shooting teams out of a zone. Perhaps because of age or having to sit behind a talented group this past season, these other girls are unproven and unknown, but I do believe that some folks may be surprised to see Walton will not be as bad as some think on the perimeter.

Maybe its the fan in me, or maybe it is the potential that I think I see, but I am going out on a limb and saying that before next season concludes, Coach Clinkenbeard and Coach Sullivan will forge this group into a team that will make opponents think twice before they zone.

Who are the "other players" outside the 4 I mentioned that will contribute and shoot teams out of a zone?

Who are the "other players" outside the 4 I mentioned that will contribute and shoot teams out of a zone?

I'm not sure if I need to or even want to answer that. I don't know who Coach Clink will put in those positions and roles. I don't know what he will expect out of whom and what they will do to balance their offense. I don't think naming names is necessary. I'll just stay on par with my original point which is simply this. I believe there is more on their roster to work with than what you seemed to give credit for. I don't think there is such a major drop off in their roster after the four you mentioned. Slight perhaps, but not major. I believe that with summer ball still to happen, some girls playing AAU and through part of a season, there will be other players on their roster that will develop and emerge to contribute and successfully fill some roles that we are questioning. I just believe in the program, the players and the coaches. Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...