Ryle 4 Boone County 2

Ridiculous. The plate was called the same for both pitchers. Claim all you want that it was a tight plate (I didn't think it was), but it was no tighter for Teegarden than it was for Downs. Downs outpitched Teegarden, pure and simple. Give the Ryle pitcher credit and quit making excuses. Teegarden is a heckuva player and heckuva pitcher, but he didn't have his best stuff in this one (did the umpire also cause the wild pitches that allowed a couple runs to score?) and Downs did.

Wild pitches or past balls?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downs is a very, very good pitcher. Throws hard, terrific curveball, great control, and nice presence on the mound. Without question, has to be one of the top (if not the top) pitchers in NKY.

Very good pitcher. Terrific curve. As to the throwing hard, not as hard as I have heard.

Downs looked like a pitcher to me. He pitched a smart game, too. The strike zone did seem a little.

w wide to me, and that's what he pitched to. He lived on the outside corner at the knees all game and if blue is calling it you keep doing it. Late in the game he did try to overthrow a few fastballs.

According to the MLB rulebook. Here is the definition of "Wild Pitch" and "Passed Ball".

10.13 Wild Pitches And Passed Balls

A wild pitch is defined in Rule 2.00 (Wild Pitch). A passed ball is a statistic charged against a catcher whose action has caused a runner or runners to advance, as set forth in this Rule 10.13.

(a) The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball is so high, so wide or so low that the catcher does not stop and control the ball by ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball touches the ground or home plate before reaching the catcher and is not handled by the catcher, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a wild pitch, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a wild pitch.

(b) The official scorer shall charge a catcher with a passed ball when the catcher fails to hold or to control a legally pitched ball that should have been held or controlled with ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance.

From my view, definately wild pitches.

Wild pitches or past balls?

I believe three runs scored in this manner. Two of them were wild pitches without question IMO. The third was debatable and possibly a passed ball. Teegarden threw a fair number of pitches in the dirt in this game. Blaming the umpire for this loss is baseless and whiny. Teegarden's good - dang good. Fun pitcher to watch because he usually has excellent control, can get all his pitches over the plate (including a pretty lively fastball), and also handles himself very well on the mound. But when he has an off night, let's just man up and call it that and not blame "biased" umpires and teammates.

Very good pitcher. Terrific curve. As to the throwing hard, not as hard as I have heard.

For a high school pitcher (especially in this area), I would say he throws hard. Not blistering hard, by any means, but he's touching 80. I thought he and Teegarden threw about the same velocity, perhaps a small edge to Teegarden. The thing about Downs, however, is the unbelieveable movement he gets on his fastball. Stand behind the plate and watch his fastball tail - it's pretty impressive.

Nice, go from blaming the ump to a teammate.

Who is blaming? From where I was sitting I seen one pass ball and one wild pitch that Ryle scored on. Maybe I missed something here Coachg but I don't see anything to blame a young ballplayer on or the ump.

I get that but was it smaller for your pitcher than Ryle's pitcher?

Small is fine as long as it's called consistently.

Who was the plate ump?

Not sure who the plate ump was, but I thought the plate was called pretty consistently, IMO. I have no dog in the fight here, just went out to see a good game. I did however feel the ump missed a call at the plate on a Boone County runner attempting to score on a wild pitch/passed ball. This cost Boone a run late in the game. Was definitely safe IMO. Overall it was a great game with some great pitching. Downs looked really good and poised on the mound. Hit his spots very well. Walks and wild pitches for Boone was the difference IMO.

I would have liked to have seen Barickman vs.Downs. Side by side Ryan has 7-8mph more on his fastball, and definitely more movement.

Barickman has 7-8 mph MORE on his fastball than Teegarden?! I would put Teegarden in the 80-82 mph range, so are you saying Barickman is pushing 90 mph on his fastball? Won't disagree with you since I haven't a clue who this Barickman player is, but do find it somewhat hard to believe. Frankly, I thought the kid who relieved Teegarden was pretty darn good. When I first saw him warmup, I thought Ryle would tatter him after having seen Teegarden's fastball for 4 innings. But this kid really mixed up his pitches very well and has excellent control and Ryle did nothing to him whatsoever.

Barickman has 7-8 mph MORE on his fastball than Teegarden?! I would put Teegarden in the 80-82 mph range, so are you saying Barickman is pushing 90 mph on his fastball? Won't disagree with you since I haven't a clue who this Barickman player is, but do find it somewhat hard to believe. Frankly, I thought the kid who relieved Teegarden was pretty darn good. When I first saw him warmup, I thought Ryle would tatter him after having seen Teegarden's fastball for 4 innings. But this kid really mixed up his pitches very well and has excellent control and Ryle did nothing to him whatsoever.

If I'm not mistaken, that kid very rarely pitches.