Spring Football Schedules

jpa2825

Based on the 2011-2012 Handbook, it looks like the rule on the "window" in which spring football can be conducted is pretty similar to prior years (10 practices of 2 hrs. or less each, 1 per day conducted during 3 weeks starting no earlier than the MON after both boys & girls basketball teams are eliminated). However, is the highlighted language below ("which shall be chosen by the school on or before December 15") new?

Doesn't this put sports into conflict? If a football coach wants to minimize conflicts with spring sports and on or before December 15 submits their 3 weeks starting the MON after the District / Region tournament, doesn't he risk losing a week of practice and/or running all 10 practices in 2 weeks if either the boys or girls team advances to Region / State?

More likely, isn't he simply going to submit the 3 weeks starting the MON after the State Tournaments (3.19 in 2012, 3.18 in 2013 [due to girls tourney concluding on 3.16] and 3.24 in 2014)? If so, you could have spring football concluding as late as April 11th in 2014? That has to create conflicts with spring sports, doesn't it?

How does any of this work with the school's scheduled Spring Break?

Confused. Someone please straighten me out.

Spring Football Rule.jpg

The old rule said the three week period had to commence right after basketball season concluded. Now the football coaches have some latitude in getting those three weeks in. The football coaches didn't like the old rule because if the basketball season ended early, often times the spring practice was in cold, to very cold, weather and the practice field were a mess. By having it later in the spring, the hope was that the weather would improve.

You are correct in that by having it later in the spring, it could create a more adverse impact on the other spring sports. The KHSAA felt it best that the actual timing of spring football be resolved within the school system and not by the KHSAA. Some schools will dictate that the football coach do it right after basketball concludes; some schools will be fine with letting the football coach have spring football when the weather is better (ie, later in the spring). School by school decision (as it should be in my mind).

When I first heard of this change, I was very excited. I take my hat off to KHSAA for their forethought in this matter. Great decision by them.

If I had my druthers, I would like to see it April 15th - April 30th with a Spring Scrimmage against other schools to conclude the window. But, I'll take the current change for now.

Now, correct the wrong done by the basketball coaches and some football coaches about the June/July thing and I'll sing your praises even more.

When I first heard of this change, I was very excited. I take my hat off to KHSAA for their forethought in this matter. Great decision by them.

If I had my druthers, I would like to see it April 15th - April 30th with a Spring Scrimmage against other schools to conclude the window. But, I'll take the current change for now.

Now, correct the wrong done by the basketball coaches and some football coaches about the June/July thing and I'll sing your praises even more.

I'd like the bolded change made also. Not sure if it's going to happen though. Any one hearing any scuttlebutt?

I'd like the bolded change made also. Not sure if it's going to happen though. Any one hearing any scuttlebutt?

I haven't heard anything official, but I have yet to find a "local" coach that agrees with it, and that includes the local basketball coaches.