Theoldguys weekly summary of CovCath baseball games

Theodguys summary of the last couple of weeks of CovCath baseball games.

During the last week or so, so many baseball fans those from CovCath and surprisingly to me at least, from other teams fans as well, have stopped me and asked me why I have stopped posting my game summaries of the CovCath games.

The answer I have given are two fold:

1) I get tired of the endless if I use the word it's a word violation, name calling, ragging and so forth that seem to come from some posters who usually add nothing to BGP’s other than wanting to show their lack of knowledge of the game of baseball or in HS sports in general.

Now I am not at all talking about the good natured kidding that goes on in the threads but the true just being jerks members who usually never start a thread but love to either thread jack or just insert their opinions when in reality they have no idea what actually happened as they never were at the game. Now if they attended the game or games no problem but many just insert comments of what they heard or what they were told without any basic of fact. Honestly I wish BGP’s had more members who posted information based on the fact of attending the games, than “I heard this” or “I heard that” from someone but they never say who that someone was, sort of posting.

2) As most know I work with handicapped adults. It is how I make a living to support my family.

Recently the County of Boone has entered into a contract with my employer to clean two of the Boone County Parks. We employee our adults crew members in the day time hours to do this work and it is a good job and one that many of our crew members love doing but the contract also calls for my employer to close the parks down each and ever night and that is where the posting of the games gets in the way of my job.

On most game nights and after closing the parks, I am not getting home until around 9:30/10:00pm and that is prior to eating dinner, taking a shower or even just saying Hi to my Bride of 41 years, so honestly with the amount or work (if you think it’s easy and simple, try doing it five and six times a week) that it takes to compile and report the summaries I do, I am not getting to bed until rather late at night, and this oldguy is far from a night owl.

However after being asked by members of not only the CovCath team but teams we have been playing, by parents of not only CovCath but other team parents, to just fans of HS baseball, to yes even some of the guys in Blue to other teams coaches I will try posting maybe a weekly summary.

Guru, I understand you want or like individual game threads but for this it’s going to have to be;

Theoldguys weekly summary of CovCath baseball games…..

I will start off where I left off and I ended with the Boyd County Game so first up is the:

Holy Cross 4 CovCath 3 @ Florence Freedom

th District Seeding game

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly plus, PeeWee's Place Star of the game, Gruber Grill Defensive Star and BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game.

The Good: The game got to be played and with the weather NKy has had for the past month that in itself was good.

The Bad: Leaving early on a SF to “7” but folks please remember this, no one feels as bad as the young man who missed judged the tag. Honestly if he had just waited a half a second later, I believe he would still have been safe at the plate.

The Ugly: Year after year, and indeed game after game I have comment about the LOB’s and tonight was not different. CovCath left by my count 11 LOB’s.

Gruber’s Grill Defensive Star of the game: To each and ever player who was on the field in this 9 inning

marathon game of baseball. These are 15, 16, 17 and 18 yeas old kids playing on a professional baseball field under the lights and in front of hundreds of fans and they all played their hearts out and left it on the field. Theoldguy tips his hat off to each of you….

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: HC second baseman Pangallo (sp?) who went 2/4 and started the winning rally in the ninth for HC with a double.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: My friend and former CovCath Baseball standout Danny Barth. Dan who I graduated with and played baseball with at CovCath was from the accounts of the paper the one who make the call to appeal the call at third. Funny but it was something that our former CovCath coaches taught us to do and that was for every one to watch to make sure the runner didn’t tag up early that beat CovCath.

CovCath Pitching:

Severson 109 pitches 7 complete innings 31 PA 5 hits 1 run 1 earned run 4 walks 5 K’s and 1 hpb

Shumate (L) 29 pitches 2 innings 11 PA 3 hits 3 runs 3 earned runs 2 walks and K’s

CovCath hitting:

Reese 5 PA 1 hit and 1 hbp

Best 5 PA 1 run 1 hit 2 walks 1 k and 1 sac

Schreiver 5 PA 1 run 1 hit (double) 1 rbi 2 k’s and 1 sac

Severson 5 PA 1 hit 1 rbi 1 cs and reached base via E-4t

Schneider 4 PA 2 walks and 1 k

Fagel PR 4th

Radcliff PR 8th

Grosser 4 PA 1 hit 1 k and reached base via E-4t

Hoffer PR 2nd 1 run

Robinson PR 8th

Arnzen 4 PA 1 hit (double) 1 walk and 2 k’s

Nienabler 3 PA and 2 walks

Mader PH 5th 1 PA 1 hit

Stein 3 PA 1 k

Maile PH 6th 1 fc

Covington Catholic 15 Ft. Thomas Highlands 7 @ Highlands

The Good: Actually it was outstanding and indeed a very nice gesture by the PA announcer of HHS to announce to those attending the game, that with the CovCath victory over HHS today, CovCath legendry Coach Bill Krumpellbeck had won his 800 game, all as the Head Coach of Covington Catholic.

The Bad and Ugly: To pick anything out would be just picky and unnecessary with this historic victory today.

Gruber’s Grill Defensive Star of the game: Looking through my book, I don’t see anything that stands out for this game.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Brady Reese who went 3/3 (double) scored 2 runs and drove in 4.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: This one was easy for me to make: CovCath legendary Head Baseball Coach Bill Krumpelbeck. When you think of 800 wins for a Coach in any sport, you immediately think “WOW” as that is a lot of victories but then to see who CovCath plays against year after year and the accomplishment becomes even more impressive.

BTW can’t forget to mention that CovCath 140 lbs junior SS hit his first HR of the season, heck maybe in his career at CovCath over the 375 sign in left center and it was indeed a no doubter. Outstanding Mr. Stein but I liked the bunt single in your next at bat even better as you couldn’t have placed the ball better if you had picked it up and set it down with your hands rather than using your bat. Seahawk indeed is one of Theoldguy favorite players to watch play the game.

Note: Catcher Joe Robinson who took a ball to the throat and had to be taken to the hospital is fine. What happened was the impact of the ball actually impacted his jugular vein for a second and caused him to become disoriented. Theoldguy wants to thank Doctor Fagel again for being at the game and for coming out of the stands to attend one of ours kids.

Note: HHS fans this team of yours is going to be fine, give them time and some love, you will be paid back for your efforts, trust me on this one. Somebody soon will pay for taking them too lightly.

CovCath pitching:

Tomlin (W) 62 pitches 5 innings 22 PA 4 hits 4 runs 3 earned 1 walk and 2 k’s

Ward 10 pitches 1 inning 4 PA 1 hit and 1 balk

Best 24 pitches 1 inning 8 PA 3 hits 3 runs 3 earned 1 walk 1 k and 1 wp

CovCath hitting:

Reese 4 PA 3 hits (double) 2 runs 4 rbi’s and 1 sac

Fagel 1 PA 1 run and 1 walk

Best 4 PA 1 run 1 hit 2 rbi’s 1 walk and reached base via E-9c

Shumate 1 PA 1 hit (double) and 1 rbi

Schreiver 5 PA 1 run 1 hit 2 rbi’s and 1 k

Severson 3 PA 1 run 2 hits (triple) and 2 rbi’s

Maile 2 PA

Schneider 4 PA 1 run 2 hits 1 rbi and 1 walk

Arnzen 4 PA 1 run and 1 walk

Nienaber 3 PA 1 hit 1 run 1 k and 1 cs

Mader 1 PA and 1 walk

Stein 3 PA 3 runs 1 hit (HR 375 #1) 2 rbi’s and 1 walk

Lonnemann 1 PA 1 run and 1 hit

Robinson 2 PA 1 run 1 walk and 1 K

Fagel CR 1 run scored

Grosser 1 PA 1 rbi and 1 walk

Lexington Catholic 8 CovCath 2 @ CovCath

The Good: Well LexCath coming up North to play a NKy team was good.

The Bad: Working for hours prior to playing this game to get the field in shape! Wouldn’t have changed the score but will it ever stop raining?

The Ugly: Hate to lose but CovCath in no way shape or form was going to beat LexCath in this the opening game of two being played today at CovCath. Far too many young players were star struck at the sight of LexCath and their players.

Gruber’s Grill Defensive Star of the game: LexCath 2nd baseman Miller. The kid can do it all. Has outstanding range in the field and scored 3 runs and drove in three. It was a joy watching the young man move in and around second base today.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: LexCath third baseman Frailex. He went 4/4 with 3 doubles and a single. The kid can indeed hit.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: LexCath starting pitcher Haynes who went 6 complete innings giving up only 2 hits and shutting out the Colonels.

Of note: Theoldguy has got to give some love out to Brain Fagel who only allowed LexCath 3 hits and two runs in his four innings of work today. More than any other player on the CovCath team, the weather has hurt Fagel chances to throw some innings. The kid is a player and when given the chance to throw, he will trust me, be a huge factor.

CovCath pitching:

Hellman (L) 45 pitches 3 innings 18 PA 7 hits 6 runs 6 earned 1 walk 1 k and 2 wp’s

Fagel 61 pitches 4 innings 17 PA 3 hits 2 runs 2 earned 0 walks 3 k’s and 1 hbp

CovCath hitting

Reese 4 PA 1 run 1 hit and 2 k’s

Best 3 PA and 1 hit

Lankheit 3 PA and 1 walk

Severson 3 PA 1 hit 1 rbi and 1 walk

Schreiver 3 PA and 2 hits

Schneider 3 PA 1 hit

Mader 3 PA and 2 k’s

Ward 3 PA and 2 hits

Stein 2 PA 1 run 1 k’s and reached base via E-2 Catchers obstruction

Grosser 1 PA and 1 k’s

Note: You talk about something strange happening in two straight games. Tom Arnzen is playing third base when a hard hit one hopper is hit straight at Tom. The ball hits the dirt and then goes straight up and hits Tom in the side of his throat but Tom from his knees finds the ball and then throws the LC batter out by throwing a rope to first, however Tom stays down. Seems Tom was hit in his jugular vein and has the same problem that Joe Robinson had in the HHS game. Fournaterly Doctor Fagel is there again and along with our Trainer Mr. Bill Twehues Tom is taken well care of and will be fine.

LexCath 4 CovCath 3 @ CovCath Second game of a doubleheader

The Good: The game was a good one to watch, played by two of Kentucky’s best Baseball Schools and had just about everything a baseball fan would want.

The Bad: Yea I know but honestly CovCath should have won this game.

The Ugly: Two outs in the third inning with the bases loaded. The LexCath number 7 batter hits a ground ball in the hole between second and third but Stein is there diving to the ground to keep the ball in the infield. The runner from third scores easily but the runner from second is going home to score but no one is yelling to Stein as to where to throw the ball, so when Stein sees the runner from 1st base trying to go to third, he from his knees throws the ball and gets the runner in a pickle and a out. Now if indeed someone, anyone had yelled “4” meaning throw the ball home, IMO Stein would have had the runner thrown out easily at the plate.

Gruber’s Grill Defensive Star of the game: Brady Reese who stole a hit from a LexCath hitter then threw to Best at second to earn CovCath a 8-4 DP to end the 5th inning.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Sophomore Brandon Ward who after Arnzen went down in the first game started at third and went 1 for 2 with a rbi and a walk and Michael Best who scores two runs on 1 hit and a HBP.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: LexCath center fielder Hurt. The young man can indeed cover the OF and had 2 hits, a rbi scored, a run, stole a base and K.

CovCath pitching:

Maile (L) 115 pitches 5.2 innings 28 PA 7 hits 4 runs 4 earned 5 walks and 3 k’s

Shumate 20 pitches 1.1 innings 6 PA 1 hit 0 runs 1 walk 1 K and 1 wp

CovCath hitting:

Reese 4 PA 1 sac and 1 fc

Best 4 PA 2 runs 1 hit and 1 hbp

Lankheit 4 PA 2 k’s and reached base via E-6t

Severson 4 PA and 1 rbi

Schreiver 3 PA and 1 hit

Schneider 3 PA 1 run 1 hit (double) and 1 k

Maile 2 PA and 1 hbp

Shumate 1 PA and 1 k

Ward 3 PA 1 hit 1 rbi and 1 walk

Stein 2 PA 1 hit and 1 walk

Grosser 1 PA and 1 hit

Note: I would like to thank the Lexington Catholic coaches, their players, parents and fans for coming up North to play a doubleheader @ CovCath this weekend.

St. Henry 3 CovCath 2 @ St. Henry

The Good: There wasn't any and in fact this might have been the worst I have seen a CovCath team play a baseball game in the many, many years I have seen CovCath play.

The Bad: Where to start. No hitting, lack of hustle and in general a rather poor outing by CovCath today.

The UGLY: It would take me far too long to post everything.

The Gruber's Grill Defensive Star of the game: St. Henry entire team. They caught the ball and made the plays.

The BAWAC Inc Offensive Star of the game: St. Henry number four hitter Kuebbing (sp) who went 2 for 3 score a run and had a rbi

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Got to go with the St. Henry starting pitcher McMahon.

Nothing in this game is worth going over.

St. Henry 3 CovCath 2 @ St. Henry

The Good: There wasn't any and in fact this might have been the worst I have seen a CovCath team play a baseball game in the many, many years I have seen CovCath play.

The Bad: Where to start. No hitting, lack of hustle and in general a rather poor outing by CovCath today.

The UGLY: It would take me far too long to post everything.

The Gruber's Grill Defensive Star of the game: St. Henry entire team. They caught the ball and made the plays.

The BAWAC Inc Offensive Star of the game: St. Henry number four hitter Kuebbing (sp) who went 2 for 3 score a run and had a rbi

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Got to go with the St. Henry starting pitcher McMahon.

Nothing in this game is worth going over.

Did the weather play a role in making this one ugly?

Beechwood 8 CovCath 2 @ Beechwood

th District Seeding game

By Spartan79

Where oh where is the old guy? I saw him at the game with his scorebook. Well, the people who advertise with him are upset. They're not getting their money's worth! So I've decided to appease them and give my (and I'm sure the old guys) PLAYS OF THE GAME.

Here they are:

PeeWee's Place Star of the game has to go to ex-CCH Dylan Cottingham with his 2-run bomb and 2 RBI single and his tremendous defensive efforts behind the plate, Gruber Grill Defensive Star would have to go to center fielder Brad Leeke. With man on 1st and 2nd and two outs, Leeke fielded a base hit by Arnzen up the middle and threw a laser to the plate to nail a CCH player to end the inning, and BAWAC Inc. Offensive Stars would have to go to both Austin Bergfeld with his 3 run bomb followed by Cotts and his 2 run bomb in the bottom of the fourth to hammer the nail in the coffin.

OG, could you let me know if you agree?

I posted what you were looking for but now lets see if you post to the next CovCath vs. Beechwood game? :D

CovCath 12 Cooper 4 @ Cooper

The Good: Michael Hellmann goes a complete seven innings and earns the win.

The Bad: CovCath had three errors today. You can't beat the better team and make three errors.

The Ugly: Well to some it was ugly but after the wet and cool days, I didn't mind the upper 80's temps one bit

Gruber’s Grill Defensive Star of the game: Lankheit throws out two trying to steal from him.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: My man senior Jake Nienaber. Jake goes 3 for 4 scores 2 runs knocks in 2 and steals 2 bases

PeeWee's Place Star of the Game: Going with Seniors Jake and Michael. Nienaber and Hellmann right the ship today.

CovCath 11 Ft. Thomas Highlands 3 @ CovCath

in the CovCath Coach Conner Classic Bracket

The Good: Having a tarp to keep the water off the infield.

The team arrived at CovCath at around 8:00am and they went to work getting the water off the tarp and indeed it was work but the kids were having fun too. They were slipping and sliding in the water on the tarp, playing hockey with brooms and tennis balls all the while getting the water off the tarp.

This was the first time I had seen this team just having fun with each other but indeed working like a team with each and ever member doing what he could do to get the water off the tarp.

I knew it was going to be a great day when Brian Fagel did a head first slide near the drain and was soaked to the skin but he had the biggest grin on his face and the other guy's were giving him high fives all around.

The Bad: Being picky but Shumate just didn't seem to have his good stuff today but he like a senior leader needs to do, kept working and did as good as he could.

The Ugly: Got to give the weatherman a error on his forecast as they were talking rain all day.

Gruber’s Grill Defensive Star of the game: The CovCath team they played smart ball.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Brady Reese who went 2 for 3 (double) scored 3 runs with 2 rbi's

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Going to give my vote to Coach Krumps who with this victory earns his 25th consecutive year of 20 or more wins at CovCath.

CovCath pitching:

Shumate (W) 73 pitches 4 innings 9 hits 3 runs 3 earned 3 walks 4 k's and 1 wp

Tomlin (sv) 36 pitches 3 innings 1 hit 0 runs 1 walk and 1 k

CovCath 3 Beechwood 2

in the CovCath Coach Conner Classic Bracket

The Good: If you were lucky enough to have been at this game today, you saw two of the best teams in NKy go toe to toe trying to win a baseball game. It was exciting and it went down to the last out in the game.

Gruber’s Grill Defensive Star of the game: James Tomlin CovCath relief pitcher who fielded his position and made the plays to seal the game for CovCath and left fielder Brain Fagel who threw a strike to Lankheit at the plate to nail a runner trying to tie the score in the top of the seventh off a Beechwood base hit.

BAWAC Inc Offensive star of the game: Got to give the nod to CovCath Michael Best who knocked in the eventual winning run in with a suicide squeeze in the CovCath 5th inning. Beechwood had to know it was coming but couldn't stop it from happening. An outstanding effort by Best on laying down the bunt but I have to give a nod to Stein who scored the run also.....

PeeWee's Place Star of the Game: Have to go with James Tomlin. Tomlin comes in to shut down the Tigers in the sixth inning with two on and only 1 out and CovCath leading by one.

Tomlin gets the Beechwood number 7 batter to hit the ball back to him and Tomlin goes 1-3 for the second out. Two still on but now there are two outs. Tomlin on a 1-1 count gets the Beechwood number 8 batter to again hit the ball back to him and again he goes 1-3 for the third out of the inning.

And if you think that was exciting....

The top of the Beechwood 7th inning. The first Beechwood batter gets on via a E-6c. Man on first no outs, score 3-2 CovCath. The next Beechwood batter walks so runner are on 1st and 2nd with no outs. Next is the play of the game. The Beechwood # 2 batter hits a shape single to LF but Fagel attacks the ball scopes it up and fires a strike to Lankheit who puts the tag on the Beechwood runner who was trying to score from second base to tie the game. Now one out and runners are on first and third. The Beechwood #3 batter hits it back to Tomlin on the mound and the Beechwood runner is going home but Tomlin is johnny on the spot and throws a strike to Lankheit who again tags out a Beechwood runner at the plate trying to tie the game. Now it's the # 4 Beechwood batter with runner on 1st and 2nd but on a 0-1 count he too hits it back to Tomlin who fields the ball and throws it to first to end the game!

CovCath pitching:

Maile (W) 93 pitches 5.1 innings 24 PA 8 hits 2 runs 2 earned 1 walk and 6 k's

Tomlin (sv) 26 pitches 1.2 innings 7 PA 1 hit 0 runs 1 walk and 1 k

CovCath hitting:

Reese 3 PA 1 run 1 k and reached base twice via E-5t and E-1t

Best 3 PA 1 rbi 2 walks and 1 sac

Lankheit 3 PA 1 hit and 1 rbi

Severson 3 PA 1 run 1 hit and 1 k

Schreiver 3 PA 1 hit (double) and 1 k

Schnieder 3 PA 1 hit 1 K and 1 rbi

Arnzen 3 PA 1 walk 2 k's

Maile 2 PA and 1 walk