Covington Catholic 15 Conner 1

It was a beautiful evening and it was perfect for a baseball game and I enjoyed myself immensely.

CovCath 15 Conner in five innings.....

It wasn't that Conner did anything wrong tonight as they only committed two errors and their pitchers walked a total of five but it had to do more with CovCath just playing some outstanding baseball and hitting the stuffing out of the ball.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly plus, PeeWee's Place Star of the game, Gruber Grill defense star and BAWAC Inc. offense Star of the game, after I get a drink and finish the stats.

A lot of credit goes to the Conner pitching coach who called about 35 straight 75mph fastballs in the first inning (with a curveball/changeup pitcher on the mound).

If that wasn't enough we got to see more fastballs in innings 2 and 3. I think there was finally an offspeed pitch called at some point in the 3rd inning. Too little too late against a good hitting team like CovCath.

That idiotic approach is contrasted very nicely by something I really like about CovCath's pitch calling...they throw inside fastballs. I wish I saw more of that in HS baseball. It's such an effective pitch.

The Good: A sore spot for me from last year was the number of LOB's that CovCath had game after game, but tonight CovCath only left 5 men on and had a total of 14 hits while scoring 15 runs.

The Bad, The Ugly: When you run rule a quality team like Conner, there is no Bad nor Ugly.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: With CovCath getting a total of 15 runs on 14 hits I could say the entire team, but Jack "Attack" Grosser had a huge night: 3 PA 1 runs scored 2 singles 1 double 3 rbi's and to top it off a SB..... but you also have to give it up to Brady Reese who hit his first HR of the season and Eric Schneider who went 3 PA 3 runs scored 2 singles 1 double 2 rbi's and had 2 SB's

Gruber Grill Defensive Star of the game: Got to go with Conner second baseman Austin Way who with Jake Lankheit at the plate in the bottom of the first with runners on Third and second, ranged far to his left to steal a hit away from Lankheit on a nifty 4-3 play, While a run did score it was the first out of the inning for Conner. Nice play young man.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Pitching is the name of the game as great pitching will win you more games than scoring 15 runs, so my Star of the game today is Ben Maile. Ben was in complete control of the game and dominated the Cougars hitters from the first inning to the last. Outstanding job Ben....

Conner 1st:

Fogle on a (2s0b) count, hits a single to the right side of the infield, man on first no outs. Roberts at bat and Fogle on a close play at second steals the base. Man on second, no outs, Roberts lays down a well executed sac bunt 1-3 one out, man on third. Liechty is caught looking for the second out on a (2s2b) count K and is the second out of the inning. Maile then get Ryle to pop up to the 4 to end the inning and a nice job of pitching by Ben.

CovCath 1st:

Reese reaches via a E-5/T, man on first, no outs, Best lays down a sac bunt but the bunt is so well placed that Best beats the threw and is safe at first while Reese moves on to third. Lankheit at the plate and hits what most think is a base hit but in the defensive play of the game Way make a very nice play and throws Lankheit out at first but the Reese goes home with the run. Man on second and one out with one run in. Severson up and he hits a shot down the line along RF and that double scores Best to make it two to nothing with a runner on second and still only one out. Schneider hits a single to move Severson to third and with runner at the corners and still only one out. Schneider steal second and then senior Jack (Attack) Grosser continues the onslaught by hitting a single to score Severson to make the score now three to nothing still with only one out and with runners again on the corners. Stein at the plate and he hits a SF/7 to score Schneider to make the score four to nothing. Arnzen who is just back from a injury walks on a 3b1s count as does Nienaber on a 3b2s count. With the bases loaded Reese hits a rocket that drives in Grosser and Arnzen to make the score six to nothing.

CovCath 6 Runs 5 hits 2 LOB's

Conner 2nd

Brake goes swinging K for the first out, Hart 9 Albrecht walks on a 3b1s count and goes to second on a WP but he dies there as Maines K on a 1b2s count

Conner 0 runs 0 hits 1 LOB

CovCath 2nd

Lankheit goes 3-1 on a nice play by the Conner first baseman, one out: Severson goes 4-3 two outs; Schneider gets a single then steal second and goes to third on a E-2/T. Man on third two outs when Jack "Attack" Grosser get his second single and second RBI of the game.

CovCath 1 run 2 hits 1 error

Conner 3rd

Way K on three pitches looking, Fogle goes down on three pitches swinging, and Roberts goes 7.

Conner 0 runs 0 hits

CovCath 3rd

Arnzen goes down looking at a called K, one out; Nienaber bunts for a single, man on first. Reese gets a single two men on; Best draws a walk and the bases are loaded with Lankheit up. Lankheit hits a single and knocks in two, Severson knock in one with a single, schneider knocks in two with a double and Albrecht is taken out. In comes Johnan and he is greeted by a double by Jack "Attack" Grosser who drives in one.

CovCath 6 runs 6 hits 1 LOB

Conner 4th

Liechty hits a double, Ryle K's on a 1b2s count, Brake hits a single to score earn a RBI's and a run for Conner. Hart goes 8 and then Johman goes looking on a 2b2s count.

Conner 1 run 2 hits 1 LOB

CovCath 5th Nienaber walks steal second while Reese is at the plate and then on a 2b2s count Reese goes yard (375 HR 1)

CovCath 2 runs 1 hit 1 LOB

Conner 5th

Maines K looking, Way K swinging, Fogle 8 to end the game.

CovCath pitching:

Maile (W) 2-0 64 pitches 10 PA 1 run 1 run earned 3 hits 1 BB 9 K's (3 looking) and 1 WP

CovCat Hitting

Reese4 PA 3 runs scored 1 single 1 double 1 HR (375 #1) and reached base via E-5/T

Best 3 PA 2 runs scored 1 hit and 1 walk

Mader 1 PA

Lankheit 3 PA 1 hit and 3 rbi's

Fagel CR 1 run scored

Lonneman 1 PA

Severson 3 PA 2 runs scored 1 single 1 double and 2 rbi's

Fagel 1 PA and 1 walk

Schneider 3 PA 3 runs scored 2 singles 1 double 2 rbi's and 2 sb

Robinson 1 PA and 1 K

Grosser 3 PA 1 run scored 2 singles 1 double 3 rbi's and 1 sb

Stein 3 PA SF and 1 rbi

Arnzen 3 PA 1 run scored 1 walk and 1 K

Nienaber 3 PA 2 runs scored 1 hit and 2 walks

CovCath is now 4-1 and next play Ryle on Saturday April 9th at 9am @ CovCath

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: With CovCath getting a total of 15 runs on 14 hits I could say the entire team, but Jack "Attack" Grosser had a huge night: 3 PA 1 runs scored 2 singles 1 double 3 rbi's and to top it off a SB.....

What? My man Jack had a stolen base? You pulling my leg?

Conner 1st:

Fogle on a (2s0b) count, hits a single to the right side of the infield, man on first no outs. Roberts at bat and Fogle on a close play at second steals the base. Man on second, no outs, Roberts lays down a well executed sac bunt 1-3 one out, man on third. Liechty is caught looking for the second out on a (2s2b) count K and is the second out of the inning. Maile then get Ryle to pop up to the 4 to end the inning and a nice job of pitching by Ben.

CovCath 1st:

Reese reaches via a E-5/T, man on first, no outs, Best lays down a sac bunt but the bunt is so well placed that Best beats the threw and is safe at first while Reese moves on to third. Lankheit at the plate and hits what most think is a base hit but in the defensive play of the game Way make a very nice play and throws Lankheit out at first but the Reese goes home with the run. Man on second and one out with one run in. Severson up and he hits a shot down the line along RF and that double scores Best to make it two to nothing with a runner on second and still only one out. Schneider hits a single to move Severson to third and with runner at the corners and still only one out. Schneider steal second and then senior Jack (Attack) Grosser continues the onslaught by hitting a single to score Severson to make the score now three to nothing still with only one out and with runners again on the corners. Stein at the plate and he hits a SF/7 to score Schneider to make the score four to nothing. Arnzen who is just back from a injury walks on a 3b1s count as does Nienaber on a 3b2s count. With the bases loaded Reese hits a rocket that drives in Grosser and Arnzen to make the score six to nothing.

CovCath 6 Runs 5 hits 2 LOB's

Conner 2nd

Brake goes swinging K for the first out, Hart 9 Albrecht walks on a 3b1s count and goes to second on a WP but he dies there as Maines K on a 1b2s count

Conner 0 runs 0 hits 1 LOB

CovCath 2nd

Lankheit goes 3-1 on a nice play by the Conner first baseman, one out: Severson goes 4-3 two outs; Schneider gets a single then steal second and goes to third on a E-2/T. Man on third two outs when Jack "Attack" Grosser get his second single and second RBI of the game.

CovCath 1 run 2 hits 1 error

Conner 3rd

Way K on three pitches looking, Fogle goes down on three pitches swinging, and Roberts goes 7.

Conner 0 runs 0 hits

CovCath 3rd

Arnzen goes down looking at a called K, one out; Nienaber bunts for a single, man on first. Reese gets a single two men on; Best draws a walk and the bases are loaded with Lankheit up. Lankheit hits a single and knocks in two, Severson knock in one with a single, schneider knocks in two with a double and Albrecht is taken out. In comes Johnan and he is greeted by a double by Jack "Attack" Grosser who drives in one.

CovCath 6 runs 6 hits 1 LOB

Conner 4th

Liechty hits a double, Ryle K's on a 1b2s count, Brake hits a single to score earn a RBI's and a run for Conner. Hart goes 8 and then Johman goes looking on a 2b2s count.

Conner 1 run 2 hits 1 LOB

CovCath 5th Nienaber walks steal second while Reese is at the plate and then on a 2b2s count Reese goes yard (375 HR 1)

CovCath 2 runs 1 hit 1 LOB

Conner 5th

Maines K looking, Way K swinging, Fogle 8 to end the game.

Do you have a hobby?

What? My man Jack had a stolen base? You pulling my leg?

Clyde, I kidded him about it as we left the game and he admitted it just might be the first and last time you see a SB from him. To tell you the truth, I think he miss read the sign from Coach Krumps, as I don't think Krumps gave Jack "Attack" Grosser the steal sign. :lol:

BTW there was a large number of former CovCath baseball players at the game and it was nice to see them all again.

Edited by Theoldguy