Rules that should be changed

I enjoyed reading Clyde's informational post on rules that many fans are confused about.

In reading the post I thought it would be interesting to see what rules BGPers don't like and why.

I'll start:

I hate that the only options when a player slaps the backboard when a shot is attempted are - 1: Nothing or 2: Technical foul.

It makes no sense to me that touching the net can be called goaltending but slaping the backboard can not even if it has an effect on the shot because of movement/vibration of the goal.

I hate the rule that a kid is penalized for holding back. I believe there should be an age rule period. If a kid is a sophomore and hasn't gone through puberty yet or is immature for whatever reason and could hold back and still be under the maximum age, I think the kid and those parents should have that option. Same if a kid is a senior and didn't get the scholarship offers he/she was hoping for, take some AP and dual credit college classes and play another year. Age requirement only.

On the holdback issue, I see your point but I think that could really open a can of worms. I could not imagine all of the discussion here on the number of 5th year seniors. I could imagine a situation where there would be a lot of community pressure for a kid to "stay another year" in hopes of a region championship.

The opportunity that is available is prep school. If you open it up wide, it could result in disaster.

I enjoyed reading Clyde's informational post on rules that many fans are confused about.

In reading the post I thought it would be interesting to see what rules BGPers don't like and why.

I'll start:

I hate that the only options when a player slaps the backboard when a shot is attempted are - 1: Nothing or 2: Technical foul.

It makes no sense to me that touching the net can be called goaltending but slaping the backboard can not even if it has an effect on the shot because of movement/vibration of the goal.

I hate the rule that a kid is penalized for holding back. I believe there should be an age rule period. If a kid is a sophomore and hasn't gone through puberty yet or is immature for whatever reason and could hold back and still be under the maximum age, I think the kid and those parents should have that option. Same if a kid is a senior and didn't get the scholarship offers he/she was hoping for, take some AP and dual credit college classes and play another year. Age requirement only.

:thumb: I agree with everything you said. Also, something I would like to see is a shot clock, maybe 40 seconds.

:thumb: I agree with everything you said. Also, something I would like to see is a shot clock, maybe 40 seconds.

How many times have you ever seen a team hold the ball for more than 40 seconds without taking a shot, getting fouled, or turning it over? Almost never happens.