Connor 4 Covington Catholic 3

Solomon

Any Details?

I believe Russell pitched 6 full innings and was pulled in the 7th after a fine pitching performance on senior day! West had a big 2 run hit in the 6th inning and Pugh added a solo HR ( 10 ) at his second at bat! Some questionable calls at home plate that helped the Cougars, but still a nice win against a always tough Cov Cath team. Good luck to both teams in the districts! :ylsuper:

Conner 4

Covington Catholic 3

Please understand my comments below on the man in blue didn't affect the game and Conner won as they played very well today but I just despise when a umpire does his job so poorly. BTW the infield man in blue didn't do such a hot job either as from my angle, Stayton was out at first in the last inning!

Quite frankly, if you have read my threads over the course of this year and in years past, you have heard me only ask the men in blue to be consistence in their calling ball and strikes. Well this afternoon the man in blue behind the plate had no strike zone that either team’s pitchers or hitters could follow.

Balls were called strikes (and vice-verse) that were low and away, but then on the next batter, it saw called a ball then again maybe a strike. BTW he was bad to both teams!

The straw that broke the camels back to me at least, happened in the CovCath top of the fifth inning where Adam Warning was called out at the plate. Warning foot/leg was clearly across the plate when Pugh tagged Adam on the waist/upper leg as he sled home for a second run of the inning and third run of the game for CovCath. Do you want to know how bad the call was? A Conner players Dad standing near me told me “Warning was safe at the plate easily!" It was clearly a bad call as the umpire put himself in a position that he couldn't see Warning foot/leg clearly getting under Austin tag. Being a CovCath homer aside "Honestly" it wasn't even close!

The good: Reese goes 3 for 4 and scores 2 runs. Warning goes 3 for 3 and scores a run. CovCath doesn’t make an error in the field and Helmann, Shumate and Severson combine to allow Conner to only score 4 runs. on seven hits.

The Bad and the Ugly: The home plate umpire. Ugly is being too nice. Again the base running and LOB were 7. When a team gets 12 hits in a game, you would think they would score more than 3 runs.

Pee Wee's Place Offensive play of the game: Bottom of the Cougars sixth inning with the score CovCath 2 Conner 1. Samad goes K to open up the inning, but then Russell gets on by a base knock. Liechty gets a hit and Conner has runner on 2nd and 3rd with only one out. Delph goes K but then Roberts get a rbi base hit driving in a run. Shumate comes in and get a 0-2 count on West and throws a perfect pitch but the man in blue calls it a ball and then West gets a single to drive in two runs but gets thrown out at second on a 2-4 play.

BAWAC Inc. Defensive play of the game: Nothing really comes to mind today but CovCath did not make an error.

Grubers Grill stars of the game:

Austin Pugh of Conner who hit his fifth Home Run against CovCath on a 0-2 count. Also Russell of Conner who pitched a great game and scored a run.

CovCath pitching:

Hellmann 5.667 innings 20 PA 6 hits 4 runs 4 earned runs 4 K’s and 1 HR

Shumate .333 inning 1 PA 1 hit

Severson 1 inning 4 PA 1 hit 2 K’s and 0 runs

CovCath hitting:

Reese 4 PA 2 runs scored 3 hits (double)

Warning 4 PA 1 run scored 3 hits and 1 walk

Klein 4 PA 3 hits (2 doubles) 2 rbi’s and 1 fc

Schlagbaum 5th inning PR

Nienaber 7th inning PR

Stayton 4 PA 1 hit and 1 rbi

Lankheit 3 PA and 1 hit

Gerwe 3 PA 1 hit and 2 K’s

Martin 3 PA

Siemer 3 PA 1 K and 1 Nutini (HBP)

Stein 2 PA and 1 K

Severson 1 PA

CovCath regular season record winds up as 23-13 and CovCath next play Holmes in the 35th District Tournament game on Monday May 24th at at Meinken Field in Covington.

BTW my reason for posting my comments so late were attending the NCC vs CovCath JV game and then attending the CovCath vs Conner JV Championship game. Both games were outstanding and congrats to the young Cougars on winning the 2010 JV Championship.

TOG you forgot to mention the horrible foul ball call down the 3rd base line latter in the game. The ball clearly went over the bag in fair territory. He even raised his right hand to signal fair and then changed his mind as if he didn't know the rule. Besides the men in blue, I thought it was a good game played by both teams. Congrats to Conner and CovCath on great seasons and good luck in the districts.

Conner 4

Covington Catholic 3

Please understand my comments below on the man in blue didn't affect the game and Conner won as they played very well today but I just despise when a umpire does his job so poorly. BTW the infield man in blue didn't do such a hot job either as from my angle, Stayton was out at first in the last inning!

Quite frankly, if you have read my threads over the course of this year and in years past, you have heard me only ask the men in blue to be consistence in their calling ball and strikes. Well this afternoon the man in blue behind the plate had no strike zone that either team’s pitchers or hitters could follow.

Balls were called strikes (and vice-verse) that were low and away, but then on the next batter, it saw called a ball then again maybe a strike. BTW he was bad to both teams!

The straw that broke the camels back to me at least, happened in the CovCath top of the fifth inning where Adam Warning was called out at the plate. Warning foot/leg was clearly across the plate when Pugh tagged Adam on the waist/upper leg as he sled home for a second run of the inning and third run of the game for CovCath. Do you want to know how bad the call was? A Conner players Dad standing near me told me “Warning was safe at the plate easily!" It was clearly a bad call as the umpire put himself in a position that he couldn't see Warning foot/leg clearly getting under Austin tag. Being a CovCath homer aside "Honestly" it wasn't even close!

The good: Reese goes 3 for 4 and scores 2 runs. Warning goes 3 for 3 and scores a run. CovCath doesn’t make an error in the field and Helmann, Shumate and Severson combine to allow Conner to only score 4 runs. on seven hits.

The Bad and the Ugly: The home plate umpire. Ugly is being too nice. Again the base running and LOB were 7. When a team gets 12 hits in a game, you would think they would score more than 3 runs.

Pee Wee's Place Offensive play of the game: Bottom of the Cougars sixth inning with the score CovCath 2 Conner 1. Samad goes K to open up the inning, but then Russell gets on by a base knock. Liechty gets a hit and Conner has runner on 2nd and 3rd with only one out. Delph goes K but then Roberts get a rbi base hit driving in a run. Shumate comes in and get a 0-2 count on West and throws a perfect pitch but the man in blue calls it a ball and then West gets a single to drive in two runs but gets thrown out at second on a 2-4 play.

BAWAC Inc. Defensive play of the game: Nothing really comes to mind today but CovCath did not make an error.

Grubers Grill stars of the game:

Austin Pugh of Conner who hit his fifth Home Run against CovCath on a 0-2 count. Also Russell of Conner who pitched a great game and scored a run.

CovCath pitching:

Hellmann 5.667 innings 20 PA 6 hits 4 runs 4 earned runs 4 K’s and 1 HR

Shumate .333 inning 1 PA 1 hit

Severson 1 inning 4 PA 1 hit 2 K’s and 0 runs

CovCath hitting:

Reese 4 PA 2 runs scored 3 hits (double)

Warning 4 PA 1 run scored 3 hits and 1 walk

Klein 4 PA 3 hits (2 doubles) 2 rbi’s and 1 fc

Schlagbaum 5th inning PR

Nienaber 7th inning PR

Stayton 4 PA 1 hit and 1 rbi

Lankheit 3 PA and 1 hit

Gerwe 3 PA 1 hit and 2 K’s

Martin 3 PA

Siemer 3 PA 1 K and 1 Nutini (HBP)

Stein 2 PA and 1 K

Severson 1 PA

CovCath regular season record winds up as 23-13 and CovCath next play Holmes in the 35th District Tournament game on Monday May 24th at at Meinken Field in Covington.

BTW my reason for posting my comments so late were attending the NCC vs CovCath JV game and then attending the CovCath vs Conner JV Championship game. Both games were outstanding and congrats to the young Cougars on winning the 2010 JV Championship.

I am almost certain Samad did not hit in this game. I believe Parker Ryle was the DH for Samad.

I was just going on the roster (via the numbers) I was given but since I was wrong, I am indeed sorry.

I get myself into more trouble by using the names of the other teams players whom I don't know but am just using the information given. Then again if I don't mention the names of the other teams players, then I get in trouble for that too.:idunno: :lol:

BTW it was a great game and good luck to Conner on Wednesday.

Mr. Austin Pugh, just think it's a CovCath pitcher on the mound pitching to you, when you face Ryle Wednesday. You owned the CovCath pitchers this year!

I was just going on the roster (via the numbers) I was given but since I was wrong, I am indeed sorry.

I get myself into more trouble by using the names of the other teams players whom I don't know but am just using the information given. Then again if I don't mention the names of the other teams players, then I get in trouble for that too.:idunno: :lol:

BTW it was a great game and good luck to Conner on Wednesday.

Mr. Austin Pugh, just think it's a CovCath pitcher on the mound pitching to you, when you face Ryle Wednesday. You owned the CovCath pitchers this year!

No need to be sorry. :thumb: This was also Samad's first start since returning from his injury.

But, Conner's bats need to wake up for them to have a chance to beat a tough Ryle team. I would assume Ryle will throw Donovan and Conner will be throwing West.

I have to say if your talking about the ball that Gerwe hit, it was foul! I had a great angle from my seat looking right down the third base line and it indeed was foul!

My apologies to the man behind the plate. I was basing my statement on the reaction of Coach Krumps and the rest of the crowd. From my vantage point it looked like it went over the bag.

My apologies to the man behind the plate. I was basing my statement on the reaction of Coach Krumps and the rest of the crowd. From my vantage point it looked like it went over the bag.

It hit the edge of that deep grass line at a bad angle down the third base line and then the ball just took a left turn foul, before it even got to the bag. It looked like it could have hit a rock but it was indeed just the grass edging of the field that the ball hit and then went directly into foul territory. The only play that I can compare it to happened last year at the CovCath vs NCC game, where Isler had a no hitter going and a NCC batter hit a ball foul down the third base line and the ball struck a rock in foul territory and went immediately into fair territory, to ruin Isler no hitter.