Miss Softball - 2010

Who you got?

For me, I will look at 2 local candidates.

Emily Gaines - South Laurel - just set new state records for hits and doubles, UK signee, has hit in 41 consecutive games, impressive talent and great kid.

Megan Taylor - North Laurel - Kentucky Gatorade POY for 2009, has 3 perfect games, .. this season (2 in a row), impressive player and great kid.

http://www.sentinel-echo.com/localsports/x334288769/The-New-Hit-Queen

Gaines is only 2 games away from tying the state record for consecutive games with a hit.

Interesting sidenote, when she broke the state record for career hits, she passed former North Laurel standout (and current assistant coach) Ali Ray, .. who also played at UK where Gaines has signed. At least they are keeping the record in the same county!!!

http://thetimestribune.com/sports/x1414103804/Queen-of-Swing

Emily Gaines breaks another state record. She now owns the records for: most hits career, most doubles season/career, most games consecutive with a hite (44 and counting), etc.

On another local note, Megan Taylor also pitched another no hitter (only 1 hit batsmen away from her 4th perfect game this season).

I know I am biased, but I would certainly love to see one of these young seniors win Miss Softball this year. They are very deserving candidates.

• 4 weeks later...

Any other candidates? I know the pitcher for Allen Co Scottsville has had a tremendous season.

http://thetimestribune.com/sports/x93707840/Tri-Countys-Best

Emily Gaines has to be in the conversation and probably a front runner.

2010 can be remembered as the year Gaines broke many state records.

She became the state’s career leader in hits and finished with 349 for her career, but that’s not all. Her 52-game hitting streak is now a new state record, along with most career doubles (104), most doubles in a season (27) and most hits in a season (83).

Just take a look at the season she put together in 2010 to capture the Player of the Year award — 83 hits, 54 runs scored, 27 doubles, one triple, 17 home runs, 63 RBI, 27 walks, seven stolen bases, .634 batting average and an astounding .696 on-base percentage.

She also went 19-2 on the mound and posted an impressive 0.68 ERA. She struck out 94 batters and allowed only 62 hits in 113 innings worked.

Megan Taylor strengthened her case for consideration as well.

Taylor put together one of the best seasons around, especially on the mound. She posted a Tri-County best 26-6 record and turned in a 0.96 ERA. She allowed 98 hits in 196 innings of work and struck out an impressive 349 batters. Taylor batted .341 at the plate with 45 hits, 26 RBI and she only struck out 12 times in 132 plate appearances.