Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 2 Dixie Heights 1 (12 Innings)

Featured Replies

TOG, just because something worked once doesn't mean its sound strategy. I'd also ask a)who squeezed against Ryle and b)what was the count. You've got your 4 hitter with bases loaded and one out against a pitcher struggling to throw strikes. Let him swing away at a grooved fastball. Smallwood is good but he's not so good that your 3 and 4 hitter have to be reduced to bunting with two strikes in RBI situations. I completely disagree with that strategy choice. We're allowed to do that, correct?

 

Of course you can, but then again, I can tell you mine also :idunno:

 

To answer your questions:

A) Same batter B) 1st pitch, (and before you ask) with 1 out 5th inning and #33 scored on the play!

 

This is not last years team that scored runs at will and in bunches, they are a whole lot better than some excepted (I believe in this team and love watching them play) but not many believed in them prior to the start of the season but if they going to win games it will be by scratching out runs, great pitching and great "D".

  • Replies 31
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard were the other pitchers for both teams getting clocked at?

 

Honestly I don't know.

Of course you can, but then again, I can tell you mine also :idunno:

 

To answer your questions:

A) Same batter B) 1st pitch, (and before you ask) with 1 out 5th inning and #33 scored on the play!

 

".

 

You don't see a difference between 2 strikes and the first pitch? I'm cool with the concept of the squeeze play. There are times to do it and times to not do it. Today was a "not."

How hard were the other pitchers for both teams getting clocked at?

 

No one for CCH was close to the mid-80s like Smallwood. Warning's best pitch was the hook. Schlag throws with decent velocity and seemed to throw a lot of strikes. Sexton brings it well.

Key play in the 7th and I didn't see it clearly. R3 and Dixie suspected squeeze. I saw the 3B take off towards the plate and then the runner take off behind him. I didn't see what the batter did as I was watching the runner. Ball was not bunted (I think it was a ball) and the runner retreated. Dixie's catcher, Popham, tried to go towards the runner but collided with the batter (I think). He contended that the runner interfered. Blue disagreed. Can someone describe what happened with the batter and Popham?

 

Again from my seat. Batter didn't bunt at the ball, but he did stay in the batter box. Popham tried his best by (IMO) running into the batter in the batters box, who didn't move. Actually it was a smart heads up play by Popham, to try get the out on a BI!

 

© He interferes with the catcher's fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter's box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher's play at home base. EXCEPTION: Batter is not out if any runner attempting to advance is put out, or if runner trying to score is called out for batter's interference. If the batter interferes with the catcher, the plate umpire shall call "interference." The batter is out and the ball dead. No player may advance on such interference (offensive interference) and all runners must return to the last base that was, in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference. If, however, the catcher makes a play and the runner attempting to advance is put out, it is to be assumed there was no actual interference and that runner is out_not the batter. Any other runners on the base at the time may advance as the ruling is that there is no actual interference if a runner is retired. In that case play proceeds just as if no violation had been called. If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpire's judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the backswing before the catcher has securely held the ball, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). The ball will be dead, however, and no runner shall advance on the play.

You don't see a difference between 2 strikes and the first pitch? I'm cool with the concept of the squeeze play. There are times to do it and times to not do it. Today was a "not."

 

No not really! After watching the 3rd baseman of Dixie field the bunted ball in the first game and again today, I honestly thought it was a smart play considering how in your words "CCH was just flat out intimidated by Smallwood as they often just watched the 3rd strike"

No not really! After watching the 3rd baseman of Dixie field the bunted ball in the first game and again today, I honestly thought it was a smart play considering how in your words "CCH was just flat out intimidated by Smallwood as they often just watched the 3rd strike"

 

 

If I'm reading you correctly, we disagree.

  • Author
No one for CCH was close to the mid-80s like Smallwood. Warning's best pitch was the hook. Schlag throws with decent velocity and seemed to throw a lot of strikes. Sexton brings it well.

 

I thought Schlag was throwing pretty close to 80 at some point. And I think Warnings best fastball looked almost 80. Smallwood was humming at the beginning of the game. I couldnt tell with Sexton though sometimes. It seemed like he was in the 80's.

Key play in the 7th and I didn't see it clearly. R3 and Dixie suspected squeeze. I saw the 3B take off towards the plate and then the runner take off behind him. I didn't see what the batter did as I was watching the runner. Ball was not bunted (I think it was a ball) and the runner retreated. Dixie's catcher, Popham, tried to go towards the runner but collided with the batter (I think). He contended that the runner interfered. Blue disagreed. Can someone describe what happened with the batter and Popham?

I was anticipating a throw from Popham and the batter stepped into his path thus the collision. I also thought the collision was outside the batters box from my angle but could not swear to it. Blue may have seen it differently if Popham had his arm cocked to throw. Don't know all of the parameters that go into the interference call.

Pee Wee's Place Offensive play of the game: CovCath bottom of the 12th! First batter Stein lays down a bunt towards the Dixie 3rd baseman but as he is about to pick up the ball, it bounces to his right and he can't play it cleanly. Man on first, no outs. Siemer hits a single. Men on first and second no outs. Warning lays down a 1-3 sac bunt, moves Stein and Siemer to second and third, one out. Coach Maxwell calls for a IW of Klein, to load the bases, one out. Gerwe with a 2-2 count smacks a single up the middle to score Siemer to win the game.

 

BAWAC Inc. Defensive play of the game: Far, far too many outstanding defensive plays by both teams to pick one over another. Both teams seemed to make play after play, that had both the Dixie and CovCath fans cheering.

 

Grubers Grill star of the game: This one might stun some, but my vote goes to CovCath short stop sophomore Seattle Stein. What a game this young man had! Time after time when you just knew it was a hit, Stein made the stop and throw to record an out. Yes you might disagree with me on this one, but man oh man I haven't seen a HS SS play this well in a long, long time!

If I'm reading you correctly, we disagree.

 

 

Yep, it happens! :sssh::D:lol:

  • Author
Pee Wee's Place Offensive play of the game: CovCath bottom of the 12th! First batter Stein lays down a bunt towards the Dixie 3rd baseman but as he is about to pick up the ball, it bounces to his right and he can't play it cleanly. Man on first, no outs. Siemer hits a single. Men on first and second no outs. Warning lays down a 1-3 sac bunt, moves Stein and Siemer to second and third, one out. Coach Maxwell calls for a IW of Klein, to load the bases, one out. Gerwe with a 2-2 count smacks a single up the middle to score Siemer to win the game.

 

BAWAC Inc. Defensive play of the game: Far, far too many outstanding defensive plays by both teams to pick one over another. Both teams seemed to make play after play, that had both the Dixie and CovCath fans cheering.

 

Grubers Grill star of the game: This one might stun some, but my vote goes to CovCath short stop sophomore Seattle Stein. What a game this young man had! Time after time when you just knew it was a hit, Stein made the stop and throw to record an out. Yes you might disagree with me on this one, but man oh man I haven't seen a HS SS play this well in a long, long time!

Totally agree. Without him there Dixie Heights wins the game in the 8th. and 10th. and 11th.

I meant to post about Seattle. While he will juggle a ball here and there he's excellent at going to his left on a ball and throwing across his body. He made some excellent plays today and has a bright future. Of course, Dixie's DeMatteo is a stud at SS as well. Great arm.

The gentlemen with the radar gun at the game, had Smallwood throwing at 86 mph in the first couple of innings but then told me that in around the 4th he was down to 79/80 mph.

Then of course if the batter had executed on the bunt, well....... it would have been a easy run scored. Once this year already the player has put down a outstanding squeeze play that worked perfectly against Ryle that scored a run in that game. Of course Krumps knew that, but did you?

 

Oh and how did CovCath score that tying unearned run in the 7th? By a bunt E-5, by a bunt E-5, K and oh another 1-3 sac bunt then a K.

 

Smallwood did have 10 K's, he also had 4 walks and 1 hbp and left the game with 98 pitches thrown.

 

That seems a little odd to me. I've never heard of a pitcher losing 7 mph on his fast ball, especially over 4 innings...maybe it wasn't his fastball eh?

CovCath pitching: Note did this quickly between games so....if their is a mistake, I will fix it on Monday.

 

Warning 101 pitches 31 PA 8 complete innings 6 hits 1 run 0 earned runs 1 walk 5 K's

 

Schlagbaum (W) 38 pitches 4 innings 15 PA 1 hit 0 runs 1 walk 2 K's and 1 wp

 

CovCath Hitting: Again did this quickly between games, so if there is a mistake, I will fix on Monday.

 

Siemer 6 PA 1 hit 2 K's and 1 hbp

Warning 6 PA 1 hit 2 walks 2 K's and 1 sac bunt

Klein 6 PA 1 hit 2 walks and 2 K's

Amor CR

Gerwe 6 PA 1 hit 1 rbi and 2 K's

Stayton 5 PA 3 walks and 1 K

Reese PR

Martin 5 PA 1 run scored 1 walk 1 K 1 sac and reached base via E-5

Severson 5 PA 1 hit 2 K's and reached base via E-5

Schlagbaum 4 PA and 3 K's

Grosser 1 PA and fc

Stein 5 PA 1 run scored 1 hit 3 K's and 1 sac

 

CovCath is to play Boone County Monday at Boone County at 5pm. Do we have any volunteers to pitch, :idunno:as this will be CovCath tenth game in a row in nine straight days!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.