Question about the Enquirer Stats

Perhaps someone on here can explain the How the Enquirer calculates its Statistics. I kept looking at some of the numbers they had posted, and it didn't seem to add up. So I took the top 2 scorers in NKY Bryan and Thelen.

I took the numbers posted by game for both. The PPG and Rebounds don't add up to the averages that they show for each player.

Here's the example Thelen: PPG 7,24,14,19,20,15,24,24,38,22,26,25,15,24,14,12,18 = 341

341 divided by 17 = 20.05 avg:

For Thelen they show total points as 258 and average of 15.2

For Bryan I am assuming there is a mistake because they list the Newport game twice. But if you remove one of those games the total of 313 points is correct. However 313 divided by 15 = 20.86 avg they show 19.6

I haven't taken the time to evaluate anyone else but my guess is there are some other inconsistencies.

Is there something I am missing in my calculations? Any insight would be appreciated.

It is my understanding that the Enquirer simply reports the numbers that are provided to it by the high schools. I do not think that the Enquirer makes any of these calculations. The reason that you do not see players from certain schools is because for one reason or another those schools do not submit their players' stats to the Enquirer. Also, the numbers may not match up to your calculations because you may be counting every game while the school may have submitted their last stats that do not include every game up to the time of the Enquirer's publication. Also, the Enquirer that I received on January 15 shows Thelan's points average to be 21.5 and Bryan's to be 20.7, not the averages that you reported above.

I compile stats for our local teams and occasionally use the Enquirer site for some of them. I noticed the same thing when working on stats last week.

What has happened is that at a certain point, the new additions stopped adding onto the total. For example with Thelan, the 258 points was his total through 12 games. Despite having full stats put on the site for the last five games, they didn't add on to the total. Yet are still dividing by 17 games for stats through only 12.

It's the same way for the team whose stats I get from there. To get the real averages, you have to find which game the Enquirer's program stopped adding their stats and do the rest of the math yourself. Annoying that it's been this way for more than a week and nobody seems to have noticed.

I compile stats for our local teams and occasionally use the Enquirer site for some of them. I noticed the same thing when working on stats last week.

What has happened is that at a certain point, the new additions stopped adding onto the total. For example with Thelan, the 258 points was his total through 12 games. Despite having full stats put on the site for the last five games, they didn't add on to the total. Yet are still dividing by 17 games for stats through only 12.

It's the same way for the team whose stats I get from there. To get the real averages, you have to find which game the Enquirer's program stopped adding their stats and do the rest of the math yourself. Annoying that it's been this way for more than a week and nobody seems to have noticed.

I'm not sure what they use but it sounds like an Excel spreadsheet and they have the formula incorrect.