DeSales 33 Prestonsburg 28

The Scribe

Well, onei, it was an exciting year for the Blackcats, and one I wouldn't have given much chance for a year ago...

By the way, Great game, DeSales. You're a fine team with some great athletes, and I wish you the best against Fort Campbell!

Yeah, the "what ifs" is not a pleasant game.

In this game, as in the Corbin game, the team started the game too tentatively. As such, P-burg found itself in a 2 TD hole and was on the verge of being run out of the stadium until a big defensive play (the batted ball and interception on the attempted screen) snapped the team into the game.

It was easy to see the unsportsmanlike call was confusing for the players on the field. Now I understand why (DeSales was using a silent count and the defense was calling out adjustments). It was a big call as it gave DeSales the 1st down after having been stopped and 15 big yards in P-burg's end of the field. LOL, another "what if", I suppose.

My biggest "what if" was calling a pass play when P-burg had the ball at their own 25 on 2nd and 3rd and 1 (~7 min. remaining in the 4th) . The Blackcats were within 4 points at the time. The difference is, this is a "what if" the team brought on itself - those are the regrettable kind.

But in the big picture, if we could have known last summer this team would do as well as it has and get as far as it did, no one would be unhappy about it.

It's been a 4-star season, IMO. And I think we might be seeing Mr. Burchett playing on Saturdays somewhere in the next few years.

:bunny:

Yeah, the "what ifs" is not a pleasant game.

In this game, as in the Corbin game, the team started the game too tentatively. As such, P-burg found itself in a 2 TD hole and was on the verge of being run out of the stadium until a big defensive play (the batted ball and interception on the attempted screen) snapped the team into the game.

It was easy to see the unsportsmanlike call was confusing for the players on the field. Now I understand why (DeSales was using a silent count and the defense was calling out adjustments). It was a big call as it gave DeSales the 1st down after having been stopped and 15 big yards in P-burg's end of the field. LOL, another "what if", I suppose.

My biggest "what if" was calling a pass play when P-burg had the ball at their own 25 on 2nd and 3rd and 1 (~7 min. remaining in the 4th) . The Blackcats were within 4 points at the time. The difference is, this is a "what if" the team brought on itself - those are the regrettable kind.

But in the big picture, if we could have known last summer this team would do as well as it has and get as far as it did, no one would be unhappy about it.

It's been a 4-star season, IMO. And I think we might be seeing Mr. Burchett playing on Saturdays somewhere in the next few years.

:bunny:

You're right on, as usual, onei, and I would ordinarily be happy such a bunch did as well as they did, given the slow starts that have been the trademark of the teams that have done well in the playoffs over the past + or - 10 yrs, with this bunch certainly fitting that same mold, but who also can take the credit for giving us fans yet another exciting, and 4-star season, year when we didn't necessarily expect it.

But with -8 yards in rushing for the game, it's easy to second guess the play calling on the series you mention, but also an easy decision by te coaching staff to call the plays they did. As it worked out, I can see where you would second guess that, but Burchett's arm, unfortunately, was all that had been successful to that point, and I'm sure if that series had been successful, you might very well have seen more plays on the ground after moving the chains. So I disagree that it was anything more than a 3 and out series where Burchett was drilled on the sidelines after a pass had fallen incomplete, with the ensuing punt putting DeSales back deep and with a lot of field to make up. I saw it more as playing the cards as they were dealt, and attempting to take advantage of dancing with the "one you brung"(LOL), and the only plays that had succeeded up to that point.

This is a special bunch, for sure, and we may very well see :walk:Burchett on Saturday's in the future if that's what he chooses, as well as some others to varying degrees. A lot ot teams come to mind that could benefit from that arm! :thumb: