Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rockcastle County 10 Mercer County 6

Featured Replies

I'm not one who discusses personal and family matters about anybody on here, let alone a couple people who I know very well. But, I want to clear up something in regards Jaggers' son, Josh. Josh felt it was best to move on and kind of 'fly on his own' if you will? In fact, Josh didn't leave because he wanted to "quit" coaching with his father. A great teaching/coaching opportunity in Josh's original home community, LaRue County, came open and a chance for Josh to learn under another very good coach in LaRue's Rodney Armes. So, Josh didn't just decide to up and "coaching" with his dad for the reason(s) that it seems like you are insinuating in your last post. Did it ever register in your mind that Marty also once coached at LaRue as an assistant, and that Josh has other family that either still lives in LaRue or is from the area?

 

I just had to clear that up for you and that's all I will speak of. I don't think you would want people talking family matters about you and yours, so take the liberty to not discuss someone elses. Take the higher road, not just with this matter, but any on here in disussing topics of young men on the field, coaches and their family matter(s) behind an anonymous name. Have yourself a good evening.

Insinuating? I never said WHY he left. All I said was that he wasn't coaching with his father. I never mentioned anything about personal or family matters. You brought this up. I am above bringing it up but you odviousely are not in order to try and make yourself look good. I will always post facts on here and not attack any other member unless they are posting inaccurate facts. Maybe, you should do the same!!:rolleyes:

  • Replies 57
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is saying that he is retiring at the end of the school year and moving to Tenn. This makes alot of sense being as this is his 27th year of teaching and that his "Ace in the hole", superintendant Bruce Johnson is leaving in December. You probably will not find 5 people in Mercer that will be sad about his departure.

 

As far as Jaggers being old school, ask anyone in administration (except for Johnson) what they think about him and I don't think that you will get a "he's an old school coach" answer. You want "old school"? Larry French, Sam Harp, Alvis Johnson and Chuck Smith are just a few. What do these guys have in common that Jaggers doesn't? Respect of their community and their administration. Heck, even Jaggers own son quit coaching with him this year!

All very good facts in this post

 

I'd have to agree with Scottie. Everything I hear from the folks at Mercer, community and school people, is they look forward to the day Jaggers leaves. And most of it is because of Scottie's comment about Jaggers' disrespect for the community and school administration (minus Bruce Johnson). No doubt about it, Jaggers knows football. He worked his butt off his first year at Mercer and had a great season. He worked hard when the 2 schools merged and got a state title. BUT, it is the opinion of many that since he got that ring he became satisfied and hasn't worked near as hard with the teams since then... kind of been coasting along since then as there is 'nothing left to prove'. His lack of class and professionalism has been an embarassment to the school and community. He has publicly bad mouthed board members, high school administration, etc... no class.

 

FightinTiger is right, this is no place to talk about a coach's family and Jaggers' son Josh needs to stay out of the mix of conversation. The folks at Mercer loved Josh and miss him alot.

I'd have to agree with Scottie. Everything I hear from the folks at Mercer, community and school people, is they look forward to the day Jaggers leaves. And most of it is because of Scottie's comment about Jaggers' disrespect for the community and school administration (minus Bruce Johnson). No doubt about it, Jaggers knows football. He worked his butt off his first year at Mercer and had a great season. He worked hard when the 2 schools merged and got a state title. BUT, it is the opinion of many that since he got that ring he became satisfied and hasn't worked near as hard with the teams since then... kind of been coasting along since then as there is 'nothing left to prove'. His lack of class and professionalism has been an embarassment to the school and community. He has publicly bad mouthed board members, high school administration, etc... no class.

 

FightinTiger is right, this is no place to talk about a coach's family and Jaggers' son Josh needs to stay out of the mix of conversation. The folks at Mercer loved Josh and miss him alot.

You are right on the money with all of the above! Josh is a good person of whom I wish we still had.

Sir Charles? Interesting...:thumb:

Not hatred but just not liked.

1. Won't play Danville even though the gate would be tremendous. He says that he is too good of friends with Coach Harp.

2. Arrogance

3. Last year he said that Mercer had to play 2 games against Tenn. competition because nobody in KY wanted to play them. Personaly, I find this hard to believe. Lexington schools, Bardstown (I heard that they wanted to play), Anderson (oh wait, they bought out of the contract because of the merger). I do know that 1 of these games was brought on by Somerset backing out of a scheduled game but the other game could have been filled.

4. Arrogance

5. I can't get into on this site but he did not set a very good example for his players this past summer.

 

Scottie in your number 3 their I know that Mercer played Greeneville TN and Bell County played Volunteer TN the past 2 seasons on the same week. Bell County approached Jaggers on playing that week and he wasn't interested. Those two TN teams that these schools played are only about 30 minutes or less from each other and they played on the same night down in TN this year. Why would Coach Jaggers not play Bell Co? For Bell Co, Volunteer was only about an 1 and 20 minutes for Mercer I am sure it was over 3.5 hours. It makes no sense to me I believe that this would have been a great matchup.:thumb:

Rockcastle County will open with an eminently winnable game at Greenup County, but would have to travel to Bell County for the second round.

 

Mercer County will get the bottom-finisher in the tiebreaker between Letcher, Clay and Perry (likely Perry Central). A second round game would be with the tiebreaker winner or Southwestern. I think Mercer County could make a run at the state semifinals, but I don't like the way they are playing right now. Four losses in five games (albeit to good competition) is not a good way to finish.

 

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Scottie in your number 3 their I know that Mercer played Greeneville TN and Bell County played Volunteer TN the past 2 seasons on the same week. Bell County approached Jaggers on playing that week and he wasn't interested. Those two TN teams that these schools played are only about 30 minutes or less from each other and they played on the same night down in TN this year. Why would Coach Jaggers not play Bell Co? For Bell Co, Volunteer was only about an 1 and 20 minutes for Mercer I am sure it was over 3.5 hours. It makes no sense to me I believe that this would have been a great matchup.:thumb:

 

I agree! That would be a great matchup! Hopefully, this can be set up in the future.

As for why, you'd have to ask Coach Jaggers because he says that nobody but St X or Trinity wanted to play them.:scared:

]Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

 

 

Greenup beat Rock? I dont think so, if that's what you are refering to here recpark.

I agree! That would be a great matchup! Hopefully, this can be set up in the future.

As for why, you'd have to ask Coach Jaggers because he says that nobody but St X or Trinity wanted to play them.:scared:

 

I am sure that there are more teams (good teams) than Bell in Cent. and S.E. KY that would play.

Greenup beat Rock? I dont think so, if that's what you are refering to here recpark.

 

I think it will be a better game than you folks think it will be, Rockcastle has great tradition and a solid football team but GCHS is starting to click on all cylinders and have some young talented players that are getting confidence each game and I do look for it to be a close ball game.

I am sure that there are more teams (good teams) than Bell in Cent. and S.E. KY that would play.

 

I agree

I agree! That would be a great matchup! Hopefully, this can be set up in the future.

As for why, you'd have to ask Coach Jaggers because he says that nobody but St X or Trinity wanted to play them.:scared:

 

Jaggers says nobody will play Mercer but the fact is the ones who will play Mercer, Jaggers won't consider it. What about one of the Lexington schools, Woodford Co., Montgomery Co., Anderson Co., DANVILLE, Scott Co.... and the list goes on. I find it hard to believe that NOBODY within a 50-60 mile radius will play Mercer. And Casey Co??... Come on, why in the world are they on the schedule?

Jaggers says nobody will play Mercer but the fact is the ones who will play Mercer, Jaggers won't consider it. What about one of the Lexington schools, Woodford Co., Montgomery Co., Anderson Co., DANVILLE, Scott Co.... and the list goes on. I find it hard to believe that NOBODY within a 50-60 mile radius will play Mercer. And Casey Co??... Come on, why in the world are they on the schedule?

 

He wants to get victories and not worry about making his team better. I know for a fact that Bell Co approached him well before teams were looking for games and he said he wasn't interested.

Jaggers says nobody will play Mercer but the fact is the ones who will play Mercer, Jaggers won't consider it. What about one of the Lexington schools, Woodford Co., Montgomery Co., Anderson Co., DANVILLE, Scott Co.... and the list goes on. I find it hard to believe that NOBODY within a 50-60 mile radius will play Mercer. And Casey Co??... Come on, why in the world are they on the schedule?

I agree with all of the teams except for Anderson. Anderson bought out of the home and home series when Mercer and H-Burg merged. I totally don't understand this because it was always a big gate and a heated rivalry. The only thing that I can figure is that they didn't want to get beat.:jump:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.