Plantation Junior Series

I think they have a couple of events in Lexington next month, the 2 day events count for rankings (on the Junior golf scoreboard) but they cost a quite a bit more than Pepsi. I was thinking of entering my son in one, but the cost (verses his age) has made me rethink.

I called and the cost includes two 18-hole rounds. You play 18 on Saturday and guaranteed to play 18-holes on Sunday.

While I cannot afford to play a bunch, I thought one a month would be affordable.

Jahearme, please explain what you mean "stay in golf mode?"

Also, do you know anywhere that I can pick up a good strength training program for golfers in the offseason.

By staying in golf mode I mean this:

How many good high school basketball players play basketball only during the months of Oct.-Mar.? Golf needs to be the same concept if you are going to be a great player. Sure you can slow down during the winter, but you still need to be doing golf related things, such as putting.

As for off-season training, take a look at this:

http://www.mytpi.com/

My daughter is interested in continuing playing competitively this fall and my wife found this series on the Internet.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

http://www.pjgt.com/

I know the Pepsi tour has some October events, but the PJGT goes on into November, too.

Yes, it is a very well organized national golf tour. Most of the players who enter these events are serious college bound golfers and shoot 70's-80's. There are not a lot of girls in each event but those who play are quality golfers and they travel some distance to these events. You can accumulate points to qualify for an end of tour tournament and there are opportunities to post your profile on their website to be seen by college coaches. If your daughter is a serious golfer and you can afford the entry fees (its pretty expensive) I would recommend playing in as many Plantation events as possible.

Do you guys think this is a better way for a upper classman golfer to get recognized on the college level versus High School Golf?

I think it helps, but if you are capable of playing college school golf, college coaches are going to be aware of you.

I think it helps, but if you are capable of playing college school golf, college coaches are going to be aware of you.

I was told by a college coach that how they do in tournaments is most important.

The HS matches during the week are not that important.

But the HS season tournaments and the out of HS season tournaments are very important.

I have a golfer playing college whose name was found by the college coach based upon them playing in last year's state tournament.

I looked at PJGT and FCWT for my son. He has not played in them. I'm not an expert, but my advice for college bound golfers is to play in regional and national events such as;

AJGA

PGA Junior Series

US Junior and PGA Junior

Select events such as the Hudson Junior (best event I've seen), and the Bubba Conlee

Any 2 or more day event that reports to the National Junior Golf Scoreboard

From what I can tell, the National Junior Golf Scoreboard (NJGS) is "an input" for college coaches. For better or worse, the NJGS puts a lot of weight on AJGA events.

For me, FCWT is too expensive (at more than $300 per tourney). I am considering PJGT but feel there are other options for off-season prep such as the Mountain Dew Spring Series and the Musselman-Dunne Match Play Championship.