Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belfry/ Boyd County Scrimmage

Featured Replies

Here's what I heard (second hand info, correct if different):

 

Varsity

Belfry 3 TD

Boyd 0

 

Elkins tossed a TD to Lovern, Thomas Varney ran for a TD

 

Belfry was without starting center Chancey Cisco and All-State candidate OT Ryan Blackburn. Pirates looked alright on offense, a little rusty as expected. Lots of bodies moving in and out in a very deep backfield.

 

Lovern, as expected, saw quite a few minutes at SE. Whoever #89 is was apparently impressive and looks to be a potentially solid receiver.

 

Belfry has alot of improving left on defense.

 

Freshman RB/LB Gary Runyon showed alot of upside and may see some minutes this year.

Boyd County was much improved from last year,but was no where close to where they need to be to play the likes of Belfry.I look to see Belfry improve and make another run at the title.Boyd County,fortunately has no one like Befry on their schedule and should do well with their schedule,the run defense looked alot better,except when #2 was running over everyone in sight.

  • Author
Boyd County was much improved from last year,but was no where close to where they need to be to play the likes of Belfry.I look to see Belfry improve and make another run at the title.Boyd County,fortunately has no one like Befry on their schedule and should do well with their schedule,the run defense looked alot better,except when #2 was running over everyone in sight.

HAHA That was Ivan Lee.... I doubt you will have to worry about a 6'1 240 Box Truck on the Lion's schedule, the boy can move for his size.

# 89 is Corey Charles, a junior I believe.

Great to hear about new kids stepping up and playing well! Good job Mr. Charles!

 

I "heard" the punting was FAR superior to last season. Thank God.

 

I also heard Thomas Varney look physically stronger. Good to hear. I am also very happy to hear that Timmy Lovern played almost exclusively at SE. IMO, having a real talent like him at SE (even though we RARELY pass) is crucial!

 

When you consider Elkins at QB, Lee and Varney at TB, Dotson at FB, Coleman at TE and now Lovern dedicated to SE, I think that Pirate offense has real weapons all around.

 

I understand a couple O-lineman were out tonight (Blackburn and Cisco?)

 

I am VERY optimistic about a title frankly. I know Coach Haywood and Co. and they will get these kids better every week. The talent is there. Deep in the playoffs a more talented team may await, but Belfry has a very nice chance.

 

Look forward to seeing folks on 8/29 at Shelby Valley

I thought Boyd's line play was much better than last year when Belfry bulldozed them in last years scrimmage. Boyd's starting defensive tackles were outstanding. Don't know their names but they wore jersey numbers #74 and #61. They need these two to stay healthy. That big lineman #71 (Messer I think) is huge and plays second team DT looks a little more coordinated than he was last year but still has a way to go.

HAHA That was Ivan Lee.... I doubt you will have to worry about a 6'1 240 Box Truck on the Lion's schedule, the boy can move for his size.

 

If there is anyone like that on the schedule I haven't heard of him...yet.But from what I could see,Boyd should have a good run with their regular schedule and if Belfry gets much better then we'll need to ship in competition from northern Ky. or Louisville,either way they should be fine since I feel confident they will need to look to larger schools for a challange.jmo.

  • Author

There was a thread on here not too long ago called "Who is Your Team's X Factor?". All indications I have heard points to Thomas Varney being Belfry's. Varney has the ability to break a long run anytime he touches it, he can catch the ball, he punts, he returns punts, he returns kickoffs, he plays safety, he can man up and play CB if needed, and if Elkins were to go down he would probably be the backup QB as well.

 

Varney has apparently packed on a noticable ammount of muscle in the off-season after seeing Louisville Central in the Finals last year. We all know that Ivan is the headliner, Charlie is going to be the mule, Elkins has the ability to keep it and turn the corner and keep defenses honest... what Thomas offers is that outside speed and with added muscle ana dditional threat between tackles. I predict a big year for this kid.

 

Lovern at SE is a very, very wise move. The kid has such natural athletic skills and additionally he is possibly the fastest player on the team. By utilizing him at SE Belfry maximizes their speed, skill, and big play potential. Additionally, Lovern's speed against most teams means they will have to do more than just assign a CB to play single coverage. When teams are having to put everyone in the box to stop Belfry's running game, the requirement for a safety to help on Lovern really could be a valuable tool.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.