August 1, 200818 yr Just let him have fun. At that age, the youth leagues will start having teams, at least they used to. I played at the Y out at Boone years ago starting at 4 years of age. However, I coach 5, 6, and 7 year olds in baseball, and those kids can barely retain the instruction they received 5 minutes ago. So, the likelyhood of a 4 year old maintaining the proper spacing depending where the ball is on the field is very unlikely. Even if you have one doing it, the others aren't. Just let him swarm with the rest of them. Kids need to have fun at that age. That is the most important thing you can teach them. If you want to teach him/her a skill, teach the child to use both feet, take him/her to high school games, college games, even up to the Columbus to watch the Crew play, but make it fun, if not you will have a kid who will hate the game, before he/she is a teenager!
August 1, 200818 yr If he is ahead of the other 4 year olds you might consider playing him with the next age group up. Just make sure you don't get him in over his head. The main thing is that he has fun and is getting some exercise.
August 1, 200818 yr I guess I am impatient lolKids this age, need to play to have fun. He may be grasping it quicker, than others but no reason to rush him into private lessons, at age 4. When he inquires about Rules, share with him the information. When he inquires about how to kick, cut, pass and defend, share with him the information. When inquires about eating ice cream, after the game....take him. Practice in the yard, neighborhood or weekends in the park, for a limited amount of time and enjoy these years.
August 1, 200818 yr Author If he is ahead of the other 4 year olds you might consider playing him with the next age group up. Just make sure you don't get him in over his head. The main thing is that he has fun and is getting some exercise. He is way over the kids his age head..But where he was last year, we pulled him out b/c the better kids were combined with he 1st timers and clueless kids. Which is totally fine b/c they all learn things, but Landon was BORED, and he wanted to do all the things that the bigger kids did, and he truly knows how to do it. But they wouldn't allow him to move to coach pitch b/c he wasn't 5.
August 1, 200818 yr As well as baseball. I've seen several 3rd basemen (and basewomen:lol:) trying to chase balls hit to right. :thumb: I really enjoyed those years!
August 1, 200818 yr He is way over the kids his age head..But where he was last year, we pulled him out b/c the better kids were combined with he 1st timers and clueless kids. Which is totally fine b/c they all learn things, but Landon was BORED, and he wanted to do all the things that the bigger kids did, and he truly knows how to do it. But they wouldn't allow him to move to coach pitch b/c he wasn't 5.I've tried to refrain from responding, but can't any longer. I certainly hope, you don't feel this way about kids, being clueless at age 3, while participating in a sport. The only way a child learns, is beginning somewhere and you can't start much earlier, than age 3 and that, is too early on honing a skill. Most organizations have Rules in place, governing ages and they exist for a reason. If the age is 5, he'll be good once he reaches the permissible age, of participation. I'll assume, that the insurance won't allow younger players, thus just one reason for him not being allowed to play. Be excited your child is "talented" but don't demean others, who are there for the fun and enjoyment, by labeling them clueless.
August 2, 200818 yr I've tried to refrain from responding, but can't any longer. I certainly hope, you don't feel this way about kids, being clueless at age 3, while participating in a sport. The only way a child learns, is beginning somewhere and you can't start much earlier, than age 3 and that, is too early on honing a skill. Most organizations have Rules in place, governing ages and they exist for a reason. If the age is 5, he'll be good once he reaches the permissible age, of participation. I'll assume, that the insurance won't allow younger players, thus just one reason for him not being allowed to play. Be excited your child is "talented" but don't demean others, who are there for the fun and enjoyment, by labeling them clueless. I agree clueless may have been harsh, and I don't think she meant it like it sounds...However, no matter what the age is, a kid's learning (rather sports or scholastically) should not be slowed down if it can be helped. In school....a child is "bored" in class b/c they are very smart, what do they do? They put them in a AP class, or at times, let them skip a grade depending on the the smarts of them... Why is asking if a child at this age can move up an issue. I feel if a child, no matter the age, is ready to move on in any situation, bring it on if they can handle it. I nor my wife would ever demean a child, not to their parents, a coach, or the child ever. All this was about was if there are leagues out there for children who aren't beginners or talented enough to move on in the sport.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.