Jr. / Sr. All-Star Scrimmage @ Lexington Catholic

Here's something found on the game from tonight.

* Darius Miller had 12 points and an estimated 7-8 assists. His passing and all-around game was very good. He really made his teammates better, did all the little things. He also threw in a big-time reverse dunk, a couple of 3s and a huge blocked shot for good measure.

* Shelvin Mack was, well, Shelvin Mack. Tremendous. A force on both ends of the floor. He had 20 points, including four 3s, and caused the junior ball-handlers a lot of trouble with his D. He and Miller have a great connection on the court. They complemented each other extremely well. Just a great basketball player. The buzz around the KY staff was how big a steal Butler got with Mack and how he could have gotten away from both UK and UofL.

* Tyler Brown of Owensboro Apollo (who I think is headed to Morehead State) was a surprise. Really did a lot of things well. High energy kid, maximum effort on both ends. He had 18 points, knocked down a few treys.

* UK walk-on Landon Slone had a nice second half to finish with 17 points. His outside shot wasn't falling like usual, but he did some decent things around the basket. Seems to have a good basketball IQ and nose for the ball. He plays with good effort, but will need to take it to a whole new level at UK in order to make an impact. Athletically, he needs to keep pushing himself to get more explosive. At times, he looked uncomfortable with tight defense, and some guys were able to drive around him on D.

* Jon Hood had 12 points for the junior all-stars. He told me he was playing his 17th game in the last five days, so his legs weren't totally there tonight. He still looked good. Handled the ball a lot, passed well. He had 3-4 drives to the hoop where he was fouled (rare displays of D in this game). He joked afterward how guys will actually defend him and Darius, but no one else. Nobody wants the UK-bound guys to go off on them. He stroked two 3s in the second half. Very nice form on the shot. More athletic and competitive than you'd ever believe.

* Jacob Jenkins may have been the biggest eye-opener for me. He had 16 points, including 4 treys for the junior all-stars. This is coming off the UK Elite Camp where he reportedly lit it up for 7 or 8 3s and 30-some points in one game. He feels like he's done everything he can do to attract big-time attention. South Carolina seems very interested since Darrin Horn took over that job. Jenkins is fairly athletic, too. I think he's a guy to really keep a close eye on. Stock could be ready to go way up.

Edited by BGElite

I went to the game tonight. Just a break down of some of othe juniors. I could definitly see potential in Hood. He is very athletic with a nice outside shot. He plays above the rim and is very well-rounded. I know it is just an all star-type game and hes played a lot of games, but he didn't play any defense at all tonight, which was the only issue I seen. I maybe being a bit picky though.

Jenkins is a very good shooter and has a pretty quick release. He is not a very good ball handler and passer though IMO. But he is a D-1 prospect because he has decensize and can fill it up.

Vee Sanford is very athletic and IMO a D-1 player. He is super quic and can shoot a long with having good size. Ive seen him a lot the last couple years.

Richie Phares looked pretty good also. His outside shot wasn't falling, but he hit some mid range shots and had some good buckets around the basket. Based on what I have seen of him and his development I believe he is a D-1 player also.

The only other junior who really stuck out to me tonight that I was impressed by who I hadnt seen was Shaquille Wilson. He is very athletic with a ton of potential!

Some other juniors played well also, but those really stuck out.

Here's something found on the game from tonight.

* Darius Miller had 12 points and an estimated 7-8 assists. His passing and all-around game was very good. He really made his teammates better, did all the little things. He also threw in a big-time reverse dunk, a couple of 3s and a huge blocked shot for good measure.

* Shelvin Mack was, well, Shelvin Mack. Tremendous. A force on both ends of the floor. He had 20 points, including four 3s, and caused the junior ball-handlers a lot of trouble with his D. He and Miller have a great connection on the court. They complemented each other extremely well. Just a great basketball player. The buzz around the KY staff was how big a steal Butler got with Mack and how he could have gotten away from both UK and UofL.

* Tyler Brown of Owensboro Apollo (who I think is headed to Morehead State) was a surprise. Really did a lot of things well. High energy kid, maximum effort on both ends. He had 18 points, knocked down a few treys.

* UK walk-on Landon Slone had a nice second half to finish with 17 points. His outside shot wasn't falling like usual, but he did some decent things around the basket. Seems to have a good basketball IQ and nose for the ball. He plays with good effort, but will need to take it to a whole new level at UK in order to make an impact. Athletically, he needs to keep pushing himself to get more explosive. At times, he looked uncomfortable with tight defense, and some guys were able to drive around him on D.

* Jon Hood had 12 points for the junior all-stars. He told me he was playing his 17th game in the last five days, so his legs weren't totally there tonight. He still looked good. Handled the ball a lot, passed well. He had 3-4 drives to the hoop where he was fouled (rare displays of D in this game). He joked afterward how guys will actually defend him and Darius, but no one else. Nobody wants the UK-bound guys to go off on them. He stroked two 3s in the second half. Very nice form on the shot. More athletic and competitive than you'd ever believe.

* Jacob Jenkins may have been the biggest eye-opener for me. He had 16 points, including 4 treys for the junior all-stars. This is coming off the UK Elite Camp where he reportedly lit it up for 7 or 8 3s and 30-some points in one game. He feels like he's done everything he can do to attract big-time attention. South Carolina seems very interested since Darrin Horn took over that job. Jenkins is fairly athletic, too. I think he's a guy to really keep a close eye on. Stock could be ready to go way up.

The more I see Slone the more impressed I am. I think he won't be like some of the UK Walk-on's in the past who have kept the bench warm for 4 years. The more I see him the more I think about Cameron Mills another walk on at UK. Landon can find ways to score and he can really shoot the ball. Have talked with him on several occasions and am impressed with his demeanor and how he handles himself around people and the press. This young man has a bright future at UK and will surprise many in the coming years.

Know this is way late, but hadn't been on this thread in some time. Seems nobody answered the question how did the Jrs. do?? They got pounded by 30-40 points again at Catholic. They hadn't practiced like the seniors had and played mostly one on one ball which is not good with the talent the Seniors have. Mack, Miller, and Slone were impressive, but can't say too much good about the juniors. They have some talent, but nobody gets 4 or 5 stars for the game.

On the question about Ballou from Adiar County. He is a big strong 6'7" kid and you can see the talent to play at EKU or WKU. He only had maybe 4 points and like the rest of the Juniors didn't play well.

Some raved about Hood, he reminds me of Josh Carrier in that he never misses the chance to put something up from about anywhere and anytime he gets the ball. Physically very weak and must get stronger. Don't know if he can bench press 75 lbs. and must get much stronger to play in the SEC. Does he have talent?? Yes, but he has much progress to make to play at the SEC level night in and night out.

At this point I like Landon Slone's game a lot better as a player than Hood.

But, in fairness to Hood, Slone is a graduated senior and Hood has one more year of HS ball. Landon brings back memories of something closer to a Cameron Mills and Hood brings back memories of a Josh Carrier which is not a great memory. Yes, Hood is much more athletic than Carrier which is a plus.

May seem kind of harsh, but after watching 40 years of basketball that is my honest up front no holds barred analysis at this point in time. I wish Slone and Hood nothing but the best wearing the BIG BLUE in the future!!!!