Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Intentional Grounding Question

Featured Replies

Has the rule on illegal passes changed?

 

The Rule Book that I have is from 2003. Raceland was penalized twice against Fariview for international grounding, these were officials from another region then Raceland's and it always seems that officials from other regions always focus on different interpretations of rules. The playoffs games that I have watched always have calls for penalties that we have not seen all year.

 

Rule 7-5-2 (as pertains to intentional grounding)

Art 2

c. A pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligible offensive receiver.

d. A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time. EXCEPTION: it is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand to hand snap.

 

Raceland QB, twice, threw the ball in an area of an receiver, but threw the ball well over his head out of bounds. I know that by the above rule this is illegal, but he has been doing this all season to stop from loosing yardage, and it has never been called. The Raceland QB did the same thing last season and was never called for intentional grounding.

 

This is the problem with the rule book, many rules are printed, but the officials or the organization provide interpretations that are not printed. I do not know if the officials from our region have been calling this improperly all season, or if the officials from the other region called incorrectly in this one game. Who can provide some sound input?

Has the rule on illegal passes changed?

 

The Rule Book that I have is from 2003. Raceland was penalized twice against Fariview for international grounding, these were officials from another region then Raceland's and it always seems that officials from other regions always focus on different interpretations of rules. The playoffs games that I have watched always have calls for penalties that we have not seen all year.

 

Rule 7-5-2 (as pertains to intentional grounding)

Art 2

c. A pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligible offensive receiver.

d. A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time. EXCEPTION: it is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand to hand snap.

 

Raceland QB, twice, threw the ball in an area of an receiver, but threw the ball well over his head out of bounds. I know that by the above rule this is illegal, but he has been doing this all season to stop from loosing yardage, and it has never been called. The Raceland QB did the same thing last season and was never called for intentional grounding.

 

This is the problem with the rule book, many rules are printed, but the officials or the organization provide interpretations that are not printed. I do not know if the officials from our region have been calling this improperly all season, or if the officials from the other region called incorrectly in this one game. Who can provide some sound input?

 

It is a foul. Was he in imminent danger of being sacked if he did not throw it in this manner? Was he trying to conserve time or preventing a sack? Judgment and it is a rule interp but it seems your explanation the rule was justified. Different regions do not have different interps, it all goes back knowing the rules and when to apply them.

It is a foul. Was he in imminent danger of being sacked if he did not throw it in this manner? Was he trying to conserve time or preventing a sack? Judgment and it is a rule interp but it seems your explanation the rule was justified. Different regions do not have different interps, it all goes back knowing the rules and when to apply them.

 

I really disagree with the bolded part.

 

The rules are the same BUT in 20+ years I have found that interpretation and enforcement of the rules differs greatly from one region of the state to another.

  • Author
It is a foul. Was he in imminent danger of being sacked if he did not throw it in this manner? Was he trying to conserve time or preventing a sack? Judgment and it is a rule interp but it seems your explanation the rule was justified. Different regions do not have different interps, it all goes back knowing the rules and when to apply them.

 

It was going to result in a coverage sack, both time there were no open receivers and a rush was coming. Like I said, I know by the rule, as written by rule, it is an intentional grounding foul, but, I guess what I am asking is: when the regional organizations have meetings, do they discuss focusing on certain rules or areas of rules?

 

I'm not bad mouthing the officials that officiated the first playoff game at Raceland, I'm just wondering. Because the officiating crew did a great job, but those two calls did receive some criticism from the fans, because they have seen the Raceland QB do this many times over at least the last two years and not receive a penalty. As we all know most of the unhappiness toward officials come from people not understanding the rules, and situations such as this cause people to further not understand the rules.

The pass interference no-call was flat out missed but the two grounding calls would not have been called by anybody in our region. I thought refs did a nice job except for the interference. I wouldn't called grounding but I know why he called it. In my long association with football playoffs, you always get different emphasis or interpretation of rules from region to region. That is just something coaches have to be aware of and not blow gaskets over.

By no means did I ever think you were being negative toward the officials. I continue to support my explanation, now different philosophies are different which also could play a part in rules interp. I have called with other officials from other areas, 13th, 15th, 16th, NKY, CKY and L'ville, we all were on the same page for the most part. Now, experience will also play a role into officiating. The deeper you go into the play-offs, the more experience your crews will have.

 

You can check your crews for your game around WED of each week. khsaa.org and click officials information, red tag, go to the bottom and click 2007 officials assignment, click the round and you will see them all listed.

 

Remember the first round required a lot of officials, some first year and some vets.

This is a judgement call, and based on the call, the Referee thought the pass was illegal, to save time or yardage. There is no magic distance from the ball to the intended receiver to use as a measure. You quoted the rule, and that is still the rule. The ball must be thrown into an area occupied by an eligible receiver. This call belongs to the Referee since he is responsible for the passer and the defenders chasing him. The Referee will flag this act, and if any of the other officials have a receiver close enough to wave of the flag, they will tell the Referee what they saw.

The ref respnded that Boyles was trying to throw the ball to his mom in the stands!! Personally I think that this was unprofessional of the ref to rub the call in the Rams face.

I am not familiar with the play in question but overall I like the way the rule is in High School. I say the QB should throw or eat it. I hate watching College and Pro QB wasting time and throwing into the 4th row because the defense has beat your protection and your receivers can't get open. I know it is a wasted down but it penalizes the defense for being good. As far as rule interpretation, Every Ref has their own take on each rule. PC had been penalized in the past for uct blocking in the shotgun, but during Friday's game, they were told that as long as it was first contact, it was legal. We adjusted to it. It is a part of the game everyone needs ot understand. I don't care as long as it is called evenly and interpreted the msame for both teams. I get upset with officials who call games inconsistently between the two teams.

  • Author
I am not familiar with the play in question but overall I like the way the rule is in High School. I say the QB should throw or eat it. I hate watching College and Pro QB wasting time and throwing into the 4th row because the defense has beat your protection and your receivers can't get open. I know it is a wasted down but it penalizes the defense for being good. As far as rule interpretation, Every Ref has their own take on each rule. PC had been penalized in the past for uct blocking in the shotgun, but during Friday's game, they were told that as long as it was first contact, it was legal. We adjusted to it. It is a part of the game everyone needs ot understand. I don't care as long as it is called evenly and interpreted the msame for both teams. I get upset with officials who call games inconsistently between the two teams.

 

The cut block is the most inconsistantly called thing in football, in my opinion. Every official calls it differently. But, like you said if it is called both ways I can live with it.

The ref respnded that Boyles was trying to throw the ball to his mom in the stands!! Personally I think that this was unprofessional of the ref to rub the call in the Rams face.

 

You are kidding aren't you? My goodness! Unprofessional?? :confused: That's a bit dramatic isn't it? I personally know that ref, and he is anything but unprofessional! :argue:

You are kidding aren't you? My goodness! Unprofessional?? :confused: That's a bit dramatic isn't it? I personally know that ref, and he is anything but unprofessional! :argue:

Anything? Well, he ain't exactly handsome.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.