Belfry 41 Magoffin County 14

pirate1960

With the exception of super Sophomores Timmy Lovern and Thomas Varney, this was a downright ugly effort by Belfry. Lovern returned the opening kickoff for a TD then added two second half rushing TD's, Varney returned two punts for TD's and also added a rushing TD. Pirates subbed liberally from the start of the 3rd quarter and by the 4 minute mark of the 3rd had pulled all their starters out.

Belfry VERY uninspired tonight. Committed numerous costly penalties on long plays, put the ball on the ground, dropped wide open passes that would have went for long gains, missed assignments and had busted plays, and allowed 2 or 3 sacks. Dustin may did not dress for this one.

Pirates also had their other star LB and backup FB Charlie Dotson leave the game with an injury early in the second half. Dotson did not return. Don't know the severity of the injury but we can't afford to lose him, especially with May out next week.

All in all I expected Belfry to be flat, it is probably for the better that they got this game out fo their sytem against an overmatched opponent, and not next week against a much improved Piek central team. This also proves that Belfry still ahs alot left to work on and are far from being crowned the 3A Champs already, should act as a nice wakeup call.

Im sure this was a tough game to get mentally prepared for especially on the road.

Belfry has good depth, but like most other schools of 3a size, they can't keep losing key players to injury and be successful. I hope the Dotson kid is ok. He is a good player and the Pirates need him at LB.

I did not listen to the game as I watched the Cats instead. That sucked