Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sweet 16 Seating

Read the below statement then vote 55 members have voted

  1. 1. Read the below statement then vote

    • The administrators have every right to lower arena tickets
      21%
    • The students should be given the best tickets
      78%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

This is the first time while I've been in high school that my school has advanced to the sweet 16 and I wanted to say I was extremely disappointed in how our school has handled the tickets. I arrived at 3:10 and was the 17 person standing in line to receive tickets at 6:00. After waiting 3 hours and finally getting in the door i was informed that all of the lower arena tickets had been sold and that only the first 5 or 6 people in line were able to get lower arena tickets. After doing some investigating i found out that most of the lower arena tickets had been given away. Obviously the team was given tickets so that their families would be able to attend and I agree that this should be done. However the faculty and staff of our school was also given first dibs on the lower arena tickets and was strongly encouraged (told to) to attend were as at a normal game only about a quarter of the staff attends. 70 tickets were also held for the band which for most games only brings about 30 people 40 max that are there in support of the game. The ones that aren't in support don't come, however for this game we give them free tickets and the band members using them openly admit (and I quote from more than one source) "that they could care less if we win or loose and they are only attending so that they can goof around". Another 20+ front row tickets were held for our 2nd varsity cheer leading squad so that could also sit in the lower arena. It seems unclear to me how they can reserve tickets for all of these groups but not for the large group students who have not missed a single game( this include Football, Basketball, and Soccer) and have made trips all around the state to support their teams. They get left out and don't get rewarded for their faith throughout the year because the administration feels that they are more deserving of the lower arena seats. Thanks for reading my spill please post your thoughts cause i will be printing this and handing out you comment throughout the school. As will several letter sent to our local newspaper so help us out in letting the administration know what we think.

Several of the private schools have been known to send ALL students upstairs so that parents and boosters can sit in the lower level. It's crazy.

Welcome to the post season!!!! It happens everywhere and I don't think it is right. People should know what to do and let the loyal fans support them!!!!!!!

I'm sure if you look around the lower level next week, you will see many coaches and administrators from around the state.

  • Author

I've always been told of these incidences happening but until now I never experienced it first hand. So I'm going to do what I can to insure that my school does it different the next time around.

Well, not knowing how many students follow your team all year it's hard to say how many tickets that the students should have in the lower arena.

 

Now class A Cov Holy Cross back in the early to mid 90s let any of the regular fans, family and students have lower area, not sure how many tickets they received or if it was really an issue being a small school.

 

Now at a bigger school I can see a problem. But, I would give first dibs to the family of the players and coaches, then everyone else. But, I also like how Cov Cath does it, students get first crack at the tickets in the lower arena, no parents or anything, just several 100 CCH male students. Not really sure if it's an issue with other fans, but I think with CCH having one of the best student sections anywhere that their parents don't really care, plus the seats are behind the basket and not the best view of the game.

 

You mentioned the band? As far as I know all bands are required to be in the upper level.

 

Best advice, if your team wins the first game, make an early exit to near the entrance next to the old Rupp center court and get your tickets for the next game, it's first come first serve.

  • Author

Yeah I was already planning on that anyway. As for our following we have about 20 or so of juniors and senior that go every where however for the big games we easily have over a hundred maybe a lot more, not sure what the count would be because I'm always standing on the floor in front of the bleachers along with the other faithfuls and cant really see everyone. Gold Sunrise would be a good person to ask for an approximation cause she attends most of the games as well and would have a good view of our student section.

You mentioned the band? As far as I know all bands are required to be in the upper level.

Within the last few years the bands were moved. KHSAA now requires schools to put them in the first 4 or 5 rows of the team's section, apparently thinking they weren't being heard very well when they were in the upper deck.

Within the last few years the bands were moved. KHSAA now requires schools to put them in the first 4 or 5 rows of the team's section, apparently thinking they weren't being heard very well when they were in the upper deck.

I don't like that idea, of having bands that low. I am guessing it's the KHSAA now allows it, not requiring it? If the band is good enough they will be heard.

Several of the private schools have been known to send ALL students upstairs so that parents and boosters can sit in the lower level. It's crazy.

 

CovCath is kind of different. The Crazies and only the CovCath Crazies sit in the lower section. No band, parents, friends, alums, all realize it's all about the students, and being their turn to sit in the lower arena. I even got lower bowl tickets last year, and exchanged them with a couple of Crazies for the upper arena, at CovCath at least it all about the students.....

 

Kind of wondering who you are talking about. I know that Mason County does what you mention, as in 2004 their students kept asking, how did all the CovCath students get the lower bowl tickets?

I don't like that idea, of having bands that low. I am guessing it's the KHSAA now allows it, not requiring it? If the band is good enough they will be heard.

Nope, it's mandatory. If your team has a band there at all, it must be down front.

 

From the KHSAA tourney instructions:

"Your band must sit in the first five rows (BB through FF) of the lowest level cheering section if they are going to play during the games or bring instruments into the arena. ... If you do not need all five rows for your band, they must sit in the forward most seats in the section, and the balance of the tickets behind them can then be sold to your fans."

(The first row, row AA, even goes unsold to allow for space for the larger instruments.)

Yeah I was already planning on that anyway. As for our following we have about 20 or so of juniors and senior that go every where however for the big games we easily have over a hundred maybe a lot more, not sure what the count would be because I'm always standing on the floor in front of the bleachers along with the other faithfuls and cant really see everyone. Gold Sunrise would be a good person to ask for an approximation cause she attends most of the games as well and would have a good view of our student section.

I would agree on the # of 20-30 faithfuls. I did not even try to get tickets in the student section. This will be my 40+ year of attending the state tourney, so I ordered our tickets last fall.

I know that you all have faithfully supported the Cards all year. :thumb: Read your PM....things will work out.:thumb:

CovCath is kind of different. The Crazies and only the CovCath Crazies sit in the lower section. No band, parents, friends, alums, all realize it's all about the students, and being their turn to sit in the lower arena. I even got lower bowl tickets last year, and exchanged them with a couple of Crazies for the upper arena, at CovCath at least it all about the students.....

 

Kind of wondering who you are talking about. I know that Mason County does what you mention, as in 2004 their students kept asking, how did all the CovCath students get the lower bowl tickets?

 

St. X and Lexington Catholic come to mind.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.