NKY Girls Basketball Top 10 (2/5/24)

We have reached the point where there are only 3 weeks remaining in the regular season before we get into Districts and Regional Play.  In my humblest of opinion this area has a Big One, then a tier with Two, Then a tier of Two, Then I'd put Highlands slightly above the "rest of The Top 10".  I'm sure, like me, everyone is bummed that #1 Cooper and #2 Holy Cross aren't playing this week, but honestly, if I'm Ted Arlinghaus and I have any shot of pulling the upset at Truist in the 9th (not a great shot, but a shot nonetheless), I'd rather Coach Holthaus and his veteran team not get a dress rehearsal a few weeks early.  Oh well, we'll have to wait for that one and hope it comes to fruition at NKU although a lot can happen along the way (like Ryle coming out of the half of the bracket at NKU that Cooper isn't on).

Last week saw the biggest upset in the NKY Girls Basketball sphere this year with Campbell County beating Notre Dame....shocking.  On the same court that Holy Cross had given Campbell County a 32 point loss 12 days earlier, Notre Dame dropped one.  However, Campbell County still can't jump into the Top 10 because they've lost 4 of their last 5 (with that NDA win the lone exception), including a home loss to Scott (which uses that to vault themselves into the Top 10).  I struggled with Dixie / Grant County again this week for 7th, but defaulted back to Dixie has been playing well and has an early season H2H win vs Grant County on their resume.  I'm not 100% sure that game would go that way again, but I'm also not 100% sure it wouldn't.

Lastly, before we unveil the Top 10, congrats to Simon Kenton on the HUGE win over KY Top 5 Anderson County -- that is super impressive for Coach Stowers and the Lady Neers.  They are in the midst of a brutal part of the schedule, so great to get a win and now get a little bit of a breather this week before back into the frying pan next week with Holy Cross (KY #6) and Sacred Heart, part deux (KY #1).  Here we go....

1.  Cooper 19-4 (1-0 last week):  vs Boone County and vs Frederick Douglass

2.  Holy Cross 20-5 (1-0):  vs NewCath, chapter II

3.  Ryle 14-7 (2-0):  at Conner, at Mercy, at Campbell County (sneaky good game) and vs North Laurel (nothing sneaky about it!)

4.  Notre Dame 16-5 (1-1):  at Grant County (watch this one!), vs Beechwood, and vs St. Henry

5.  Simon Kenton 15-7 (1-1):  at North Oldham and vs Boone County

6.  Highlands 15-7 (1-1):  vs Bracken County and at Lloyd

7.  Dixie 13-9 (2-1):  vs Mt Notre Dame (OH) and at Conner (potentially very solid game)

8.  Grant County 16-5 (3-0):  vs Notre Dame (great game) and vs Shelby County

9.  Scott 15-8 (1-1):  vs Bishop Brossart (Top 10 play-in game?) and at Bourbon County

10. NewCath 16-7 (2-1):  vs St. Ursula (OH) and at Holy Cross

===============================================================

8th:  Walton Verona 13-9

9th:  St. Henry 12-9, Conner 10-12, and Bellevue 16-6

10th:  Campbell County 14-8 and Brossart 14-7

Get out and watch some great games this week!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2