NKY Girls Basketball Top 10 (12/18/23)

One thing is for sure, while there is no movement at the top of the Top 10 this week, the middle and bottom (and others) is a bit of a jumbled puzzle to try and put together and decipher.  NewCath had the Charles Dickens' week, the best of times (nice win over Dixie), and the worst of times (losing by 22 to Grant County). Grant County is looking more like the team we had in our Top 10 to start the season, and less like the team that struggled to find their way in the first couple of weeks.  Campbell Co had a great win over district rival Bishop Brossart, and the Camels are off to a great start.  

Additionally, this is a week where most of our top teams are going to be down in the state playing in either the Queen of the Commonwealth (amazing field!!) or the White, Green, Maggard Holiday Classic in Lexington.  The exception being Notre Dame (and Brossart) who are playing in an inter-state event at McNicholas H.S. in Cincinnati with Ursuline.  We will know a lot about our Top 5 teams as they will certainly be battle-tested this week, especially those 3 that earned the invite to the Queen of the Commonwealth (the girls' version of the King of the Bluegrass).  I hope everyone stays healthy, learns a great deal about themselves and their team, and their families stay safe traveling the highways of the Bluegrass.  Should be a fun week heading into Christmas!  Here we go....

1.  Notre Dame  7-0 [1-0 last week]  This week:  vs Ursuline (OH) at McNick, at McNicholas (OH)

2.  Cooper  5-3 [2-1]  This week:  vs Owensboro Catholic at Queen of the Commonwealth + 3 subsequent games based on results

3.  Ryle  4-2 [1-1]  This week:  vs Male at White, Greer, & Maggard Holiday Classic + 2 subsequent games based on results

4.  Holy Cross 5-2 [1-0]  This week:  vs Bethlehem at Queen of the Commonwealth + 3 subsequent games based on results

5.  Simon Kenton 7-1 [2-0]  This week:  vs Bowling Green at Queen of the Commonwealth + 3 subsequent games based on results

6.  Campbell County 5-1 [2-0]  This week:  at Bourbon County and vs Boone County

7.  Dixie  4-3  [1-2]  This week:  vs Anderson County at White, Greer, & Maggard Holiday Classic + 2 subsequent games based on results

8.  Highlands  3-4 [1-0]  This week:  at Bellevue

9.  Bishop Brossart  6-1 [1-1]  This week:  at McNicholas (OH), vs Ursuline (OH) at McNick

10.  Grant County  5-3 [3-0]  This week:  at Oldham County

=======================================================================

8th:  Walton Verona 3-5

9th:  Conner 2-5, St. Henry 5-2, and NewCath 3-3

10th:  Scott 4-1

Have a great week!!!  Next week's Top 10 will likely not come out until the 26th.

• Thanks 3

I think NDA will sweep in two tight games. They don’t seem to like to run away with games….

I am picking a final between Cooper and Bethlehem.  Bethlehem is champ. (McCracken might bust my bracket here)

I’ll also pick a final between Ryle and GRC. GRC dominates final. 

Good luck ladies!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 1992Rebel said:

I think NDA will sweep in two tight games. They don’t seem to like to run away with games….

I am picking a final between Cooper and Bethlehem.  Bethlehem is champ. (McCracken might bust my bracket here)

Good luck ladies!

I know I sound like a broken record, but don't sleep on Manual in that bottom-half.  If it is them and Bethlehem on Wednesday night, that will be a very interesting contrast of styles, and one that could likely go either way.

12 hours ago, 1992Rebel said:

Good luck ladies!

Well shoot!  I should have done my homework. I want to add an asterisk to my pick. I think Bethlehem carries the bracket if Leah Macy is healthy and in the lineup. If not, I agree with DD and think Manual will make it to the final.   If that’s the case I will pick Cooper. 

• Like 1