9th Region Semi Final Preview/Predictions

I will be making the trip to Boone County this afternoon for both semi finals this evening.  

Semi #1: NCC vs. Dixie 

NCC comes in with 16-5-0 record and on quite a run at the moment with two huge wins against district foes Highlands and Cooper. Ryan Desmond comes in as leading scorer with 16 goals and 12 assists. 2 of those goals being against Dixie Heights just a few weeks ago in NCC's 2-1 win over the colonels. Dixie enters the semi finals with an 8-9-2 record and Trevor Bolte leads Colonels in scoring with 7 goals and 3 assists. Dixie has struggled to find the back of the net this season but have scored 7 goals in their last 2 games. Can the Colonels continue this offensive momentum tonight against the Breds? 

• PREDICTION: I think the Bred's Defense and Big GK McCloskey stand tough and make it difficult for Dixie to find the net. I will say a 2-0 or 2-1 win for NCC and a trip to the 9th region final! 

Semi #2: Highlands vs. Ryle

The match up everyone wanted to see coming into the tournament, although many wanted to see this on Saturday and not tonight. OH WELL! It is here!! The bluebirds coming in with a 12-5-2 record and fresh off one of the better come back victories I have seen in quite some time! Gamble is back and looking healthy as he enters the semi final with 14 goals to lead Highlands attack. Highlands will be looking to bounce back from a 3-0 loss to the Raiders in early September! Ryle comes in unbeaten in their last 19 games and loaded with talent all over the field. Diego Hoenderkamp leads the Raiders with 23 goals and 22 assists and Brice Denigan is right behind him with 21 goals. I think this game is going to come down to Highlands ability to slow down this Ryle attack. I am excited to see this match-up, we could be set up to see an NKY classic tonight! 

• PREDICTION: In the end I think Ryle's attack is too much for the birds defense and Ryle comes away with a 2-1 win LATE in the game! The Raiders can be 1 win away from returning to the state tournament for the 2nd consecutive year!

I think both games have the potential to be great ones! Looking forward to watching all 4 teams play! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I completely concur with your first prediction. Having seen both teams play several times throughout the season, NCC is without a doubt the favorite. NCC 2 Dixie Heights 0

Ryle -vs- Highlands I believe the margin of victory will be greater. Again, having seen both teams play Ryle has every advantage. Having balls bounce off of everything and everyone in front of goal and finding their way into goal is definitely not a winning formula. Ryle 4 Highlands 1.

I have Ryle winning Region 9, probably winning the 1st round of the semi final against region 10 winner but losing shortly there after to either St.X or Daviess.

Edited by OutOfNeccessity
Trinity already eliminates

I believe Josh Line is still out on a red card for Ryle. If this is accurate then Highlands may be the biggest beneficiary.  Heard that Ryle struggled a little with St. Henry without him and it is my understanding that it is a two-game suspension, and this game would be the second so Ryle wouldn't have him back until Saturday if they win.  Highlands has good speed upfront with size, this may come down to PK's in the end.  I'm obviously not a fan of either team, but this should be a good game.  

Frank's Forecast:

I am going out on a limb here on both of these games being different than the above predictions:

Dixie vs NCC:  Eventhough NCC has knocked off Highlands twice this year I truly believe Dixie is rolling with some new found mojo in their personnel.  I like what I have seen recently with their win at St Henry and the win on Tue against Holy Cross.  I'll take Dixie actually by a few goals.

Highlands vs Ryle:  That Tue win I think has re-energized this already talented group of boys.  I actually am glad they are now on the side of the bracket to have to face Ryle tonight instead of after Tue facing either NCC or Dixie.  As I think everyone this whole year has stated Ryle is the team to beat in the 9th Region....I like this game for 2 reasons, the Birds are feeling so good right now from their win on Tue and like @kyag stated and I was told confidently as well that Josh Line is having to miss this game as well due to his (double yellow) red card in the District Finals....I realize if the Birds pull this off a ton of Ryle fans will want an * beside it that they were not full strength but that's soccer, you got to play with the hand that you deal yourself...no matter how cruel it is. So I am going with Birds 2-1, in a thrilla!

Can't wait....Let's GO BIRDS!!!!

By the way, looks like you will be able to leave the winter coats and blankets at home.  Going to be a great night for soccer.

• Like 1