NKY Week 7 Games to Watch

kyag

How are we already to week 7?  District games will be occurring in the 33rd and 35th, one of them will be a game to watch, maybe 2 of them.  

Tuesday (9/19/23)

Newport Central Catholic @ Dixie Heights - NCC makes the trip to Dixie coming off a 2 wins last week vs their district foe Highlands and Diocese foe Bishop Brossart.  Dixie is having a good season and have beat the teams they should except in my opinion Simon Kenton.  I think NCC gets a 2-1 win.

Ryle @ Cooper - Big Brother vs Little Brother.  Cooper will be looking to knock off the bully of the district and maybe secure a first-round game vs Boone County who they just beat 2-1 last week.  Ryle has now scored 39 goals while giving up 5.  This game went to a PK shootout last year with Ryle coming away with the top seed in the 33rd.  Will Cooper park the bus and hope they can get a PK shootout win this year...good chance I'll be keeping an eye on this one.  

Other games of note for Tuesday:

Walton-Verona @ Beechwood

Scott @ Boone County

St. Henry @ Grant County

Covington Latin @ Villa Madonna

Pendleton County @ Simon Kenton

Thursday (9/21/23)

Conner @ Cooper - More than likely (unless Cooper pulls off the unexpected win vs Ryle) this will be the jersey color game.   What does the mean?  Whoever wins will be the home team in the 33rd District semi game at Conner on 10/3.  This is a very evenly matched game in my opinion.  Looking at the record verses common opponents, it's even.  There will be no love lost in this game as both teams just don't like each other.  Cooper has a stingy defense and a dangerous striker in Maddox Pemberton who has 6 goals on the season.  The Cougars have shown moments of promise and offense that has scored 23 goals in 13 games with 9 different players scoring them.  Of course, I'm picking the Cougars to win, 2-1.

Dixie Heights @ Highlands - Possible 1st round 9th Region preview.  Dixie has been solid all year, Highlands is 14-0-2 vs the Colonels since 2001.  Could this be the year the Colonels get the win verses the Blue Birds and stop by a local pastry shop on the way home to grab a piece of cake?  I think I like Dixie to get a 1-0 win over the Blue Birds this year.  

Other games of note for Thursday:

Pendleton County vs Bishop Brossart

Simon Kenton @ Covington Catholic

Beechwood @ Holmes (35th District Game)

Boone County @ Ryle (33rd District Game)

Holy Cross (Covington) @ Scott

Calvary Christian @ Walton-Verona

Friday (9/22/23) & Saturday (9/23/23)

Conner and Ryle both are playing in the Bruin Classic in E-Town this weekend.  Ryle starts off Friday:

Ryle vs Madisonville-North Hopkins

Conner vs Elizabethtown

Conner vs Ballard

Ryle vs Central Harding

Newport Central Catholic vs Murray (All "A" State Tournament)

Holy Cross (Covington) @ Beechwood (35th District Game)

Bishop Brossart @ Boone County

Cooper @ Grant County

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not so fast on the Dixie v Highlands prediction.  The Birds looked like a new team vs Ballard on Saturday beating them 2-0.  They have been playing without their leading scorer Harrison Gamble since he got dinged up in the NCC game last Tue.  Don't get me wrong Brossart game was ugly, but the Ballard game was really a new team, even still without Gamble....might have been the best I have seen them play as a team.

We will see how it goes on Thursday.