Girls JV Tourney

So, who is the favorite? Who has the good JV team this yr? Usually, the JV teams are overlooked due to the importance put on the V but these girls need some ink also.

I know Boone is undefeated who beat Highlands last night which had lost only one game until last night. NDA is pretty good, two loses to Boone and I have heard Conner is pretty good.

It will depend on who coach lets dress for the tourney. Findley and Sparrow have played all yr, Brasseaux was brought down a few games ago and has really benefited from that. She has played really good as of late in the V games. W/all three or 2/3 and the rest of the gang they will be hard to beat. Good inside game and Sparrow and Bowling shooting from the outside makes a great combo. It doesn't hurt to have a crafty little point guard either w/quality sub players too.

It is so hard for the smaller schools to discuss JV teams since most of the team plays up and many of the coaches will not allow girls with significant playing time on Varsity to play JV.

Our JV team consists of 2- 8th Graders a 7th Grader and various JR's and Freshman that rotate in. The good news is that they are still winning in our district. If the coach let the 2 freshman and 2 sophmores that play varsity play in the JV tournament we would do great. However, it is used as a learning league and not a competitive league.

It would be great to have enough quality players to have 3 strong teams of V, JV and Freshman, but it seems that will not happen in many of the A schools.

It is nice to hear that they get some attention in the larger schools.

My opinion is that to be good at basketball it takes a lot of hard work and is not all that glamorous. Many of the other sports..Cheerleading, Volleyball etc. have really strong numbers in the small schools. For example, our High School has more Cheerleaders than female basketball players. However even though we may not have the quantity we are seeing a lot of quality players that work hard all year long to field a winning team.

I think that as more girls participate we will eventually get the numbers that it would take to make it more competitive.