Covington Catholic 1 Conner 0

Well…better than last year but still a L. 

Conner had a chance to score in the 1st 15 seconds and just miss the goal. I thought Conner was the more aggressive team limiting Cov Cath’s chances in the 1st half. Cov Cath gets a call in the box (no comment from me about the call). I believe it was Leach who converted the PK. Cov Cath holds on to the 1-0 lead at half. 

2nd half Cov Cath controlled the game. Conner tried to play long ball and the Cougars couldn’t get anything past the Cov Cath’s center backs. Cov Cath has some nice pieces and played a good controlled game of futbol. Conner got tired in the mid-field and just couldn’t connect on passes to the outside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ticket did not disappoint in the sense that it was a good opportunity to see what both teams have to offer.

Not knowing much about either team, here were my impressions.

Connor looks young. Not necessarily age, but team experience. They were solid on defense considering most of the shot attempts for CCH were from well outside the box. They had 2 or 3 scoring opportunities but an extra touch or distance to goal allowed CCH's defense to recover. They were by far the more physical team on the ball, but in a solid way.

CCH looks like they have plenty of talent. They just look like they need time to gel and play less individually. Most of their shots were taken from 20-30 yards out and most of these rolled slowly to goal. Interestingly, they went deep into their bench early. CCH appeared to control possession in both halves but were unable to convert those into goals.

For both teams, it seems time will tell as the season moves on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OutOfNeccessity said:

The ticket did not disappoint in the sense that it was a good opportunity to see what both teams have to offer.

Not knowing much about either team, here were my impressions.

Connor looks young. Not necessarily age, but team experience. They were solid on defense considering most of the shot attempts for CCH were from well outside the box. They had 2 or 3 scoring opportunities but an extra touch or distance to goal allowed CCH's defense to recover. They were by far the more physical team on the ball, but in a solid way.

CCH looks like they have plenty of talent. They just look like they need time to gel and play less individually. Most of their shots were taken from 20-30 yards out and most of these rolled slowly to goal. Interestingly, they went deep into their bench early. CCH appeared to control possession in both halves but were unable to convert those into goals.

For both teams, it seems time will tell as the season moves on.

Conner had 6 players last night getting their first varsity start, 4 of which were sophomores.  I agree with #OutofNeccessity observation...Conner is young in game experience, and it showed in the second half.