1st Region Week 9 Review and Rankings

I moved the Mustangs back to the 1 spot with Calloway's 20-point loss to Ohio County.  There are some good rivalry games coming up this week!

Key games this week:

Tues - Tilghman at Murray, Ballard Memorial at Graves Co., Fulton Co. at Carlisle Co.

Fri - McCracken Co. at Tilghman (Region 1 Game of the Week), Calloway Co. at Murray, Graves Co. at Mayfield

Sat - Marshall Co. at Tilghman, Graves Co. at St. Mary

1. McCracken Co. (21-2) - W 76-62 vs University Heights, W 70-44 vs St. Mary, W 55-51 at Graves Co., W 84-64 vs Poplar Bluff (Mo)

The best news for the Mustangs is that I believe they are now full-strength.  Connor Miller returned early in the week and then Ian Hart returned later in the week.  The Mustangs can lock up the 2nd District number one seed by beating Tilghman on Friday - this is my Region 1 Game of the Week!.

2. Calloway Co. (18-5) - W 52-47 vs Graves Co., L 49-69 at Ohio Co.

Ohio County is an excellent basketball team, but I did not expect the Lakers to have a 20-point loss.  They will host Murray on Friday for a key 4th District matchup.  The Lakers are the only team that remains undefeated in 1st Region play.

3. Paducah Tilghman (17-6) - W 61-57 at Mayfield, W 70-49 vs Massac Co. (IL), W 66-59 at Marshall Co., W 78-59 at Todd Co. Central

What a week for the Tornado!  Four games and four wins, and two of the wins were on the road against tough 1st Region foes.  Jayvion Powell makes a big difference being in the lineup.  Tilghman will get another shot at the Mustangs on Friday, and they will need to do a much better job on McCracken's McCune to have a decent chance in that one.

4. Murray (12-8) - L 43-65 Evangel Christian (All A Classic)

There was a Grant Whitaker sighting at the All A Classic!  I did not expect this, and very happy to have him back.  The Bellarmine commit was one of the best Region 1 players last year, and we will see how long it takes to get him up to speed.

5. Mayfield (16-5) - L 57-61 vs Tilghman, W 65-45 at Ballard Mem., W 58-55 Hopkins Co. Central

The Cardinals will host the Battle of the Birds on Friday.  Graves is getting better and better, and I expect this will be a close game.

6. Marshall Co. (17-6) - W 79-49 at CFS, L 59-66 vs Tilghman, W 45-43 vs St. Mary

After the hot start the Marshals have cooled off a little bit.  To show how balanced this region is - Marshall is the only Region 1 team to beat the Mustangs this year, and I have them ranked 6.  This is a senior-led team that is very dangerous.  They have a rematch with Tilghman on Saturday night.

7. Graves Co. (8-16) - W 69-48 at Hickman Co., L 47-52 at Calloway Co., L 51-55 vs McCracken, L 60-67 at Union Co.

This is the best 8-16 team in Kentucky!  The Eagles led the Mustangs for the first three quarters before the Mustangs went on a run to pull out the win late in the game.  This is a team that I expected to get better as the season goes on, and they will be a tough matchup in the 1st Region tourney.

8. St. Mary (10-12) - L 44-70 at McCracken Co., W 80-60 at Livingston Central, L 43-45 at Marshall Co.

If there is such a thing as a good loss - the Vikings narrowly lost to Marshall on the road this week.  Do the Vikings have the firepower to knock of Graves Co. on Saturday?

9. Ballard Memorial (17-7) - W 82-68 at CCA, L 45-65 vs Mayfield, W 69-32 vs Fulton City

The Bombers also get a shot at the Eagles this week, and they lost on a buzzer-beater earlier this year.

10. Carlisle Co. (10-10) - W 91-46 vs Fulton City, W 67-65 at Trigg Co.

I think that the Comets still have the edge in getting the first seed in the 1st District tournament - very key!

11. Hickman Co. (7-14)

12. Fulton Co. (10-7)

13. Community Chirstian Acad. (11-11)

14 Christian Fellowship School (5-14)

15. Fulton City (3-16)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1