Highlands 2 Kentucky Country Day 0

I will let @FrankNicodemus fill in all of the color on the Birds' win last night.  Just the facts from me:  Highlands improves to 3-3-2 on the season and break their four game non-winning streak.  They next get Henry Clay in the Fort tomorrow.  KCD falls to 4-2-1 on the season, and they get DuPont Manual next Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A ton of players get time at the Fort!

The Birds and I had this on the schedule as a game to hopefully turning the tide and get a Win FINALLY!!!  It was a solo game of the night, there were no undercard games (Fresh or JV) so the kickoff was under a bright sunny sun at 6pm.  The Birds lineup was a little juggled around with Chad Gesenhues nursing an ankle injury (he did end up playing some), so they moved Adarsh to the def mid and plugged Haggard into the backline.  Whitney started for the 2nd game in a row also.

The birds offense attacked all first half long but never got a finishing touch needed to put it in the back of the net.  It probably took 25 minutes for Jack Wilson in goal for the Birds to eventually touch the ball for a punt.  I was expecting more of an offense from #9 Maher Ky Ranked KCD but there really wasn't much offense that they showed.  Can you get jet lag driving up from Louisville???  

So in the 2nd half the Birds finally got on the board twice within like 8 min of each other in the 56 min of the match Whitney served a nice pass over to Pieper to finish for the first goal and then Khullar lobbed a ball to Lavin (in the 60 min) who strategically was able to get through a charging GK to finally tap the ball into the open goal.

So the story though of the 2nd half was Ponchak decided to give a whole lot of kids some playing time.  You know me I am watching the personnel that is going on and off the field and with still the game in reach for KCD with miscues being Highlands Kryptonite the last few games Ponchak decided still that this was a good game to get players experience.  We saw a grand total of 23 Birds take the field (via KHSAA Scoreboard stats).  That is a whole lot of kids playing in a very close scoring game.

But at the end of the game I am happy the Birds got the "W" and for Jack it was nice to get a Clean Sheet!!!

Big game on Saturday, Triple Header (F/JV/V) against Henry Clay.  Still bitter about 2019 when they beat us in PK's in State Tournament.  Birds did win last year 2-0.

Sorry for the delay on this write up, was busy at Lowe's buying my blue paint to paint myself for the big game against Campbell County in football tonight!

Have a great night!!!!

#GOBIRDS!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2