8th Region All - A Tournament

The 8th Region All-A Tournament is this coming week in Eminence.

All games will be broadcast.   FREE LIVE HIGH DEFINITION VIDEO on www.pegasussportsky.com.   

(all games will also be archived for one year on the Pegasus site)

Round 1

Tuesday, 1/4/22

Owen County (8-6) has a BYE

5 pm - Walton-Verona (7-7) vs. Williamstown (6-4)

6:30 pm Gallatin County (4-11) vs. Trimble County (1-12)

8 pm - Carroll County (4-7) vs. Eminence (2-10)

Semi-finals

Thursday, 1/6/22

6 pm Owen County vs. Carroll/Eminence winner

7:30 pm - Gallatin/Trimble winner vs. W-V/Williamstown winner

Finals

Saturday, 1/8/22 7 pm

In a year that hasn't been particularly good to the 8th Region girls' teams (only three teams out of 18 have winning records - Anderson County at 12-1, South Oldham at 7-4, and Williamstown at 6-4), this could be a very interesting tournament.   Still, if the favorites come through, the bracket is set up for what would likely be a Walton-Verona vs. Owen County final.

Owen County figures to be the tournament favorite.

The Lady Rebels hold victories over strong programs at Bardstown and Bethlehem, and lost to perennial power Franklin County by just 6.   Owen is 4-1 against region 8 competition, with their lone loss a 9 point defeat at the hands of 12-1 Anderson County.

Walton-Verona is also 4-1 against 8th Region teams, with their only loss coming at the hands of Simon Kenton, 69-67.   

Among the other contenders for the crown...

Williamstown is 6-4 on the year and has won two straight, including a 51-49 victory over Gallatin County in their most recent outing.   The Lady Demons are 3-0 against 8th Region competition this year, with victories also over Eminence (64-15) and Trimble County (32-23).   

Gallatin County is 4-11 overall, but 2-2 in region play.   The Lady Cats have been on a slide, having lost 5 of their last 6, but Holly Roberts' troops were competitive in their last outing, a 51-49 loss to Williamstown - a possible semi-final opponent -  and they beat Trimble County - their first-round opponent - by 20 on December 17th.

Trimble County is having a rebuilding season, and has lost eight straight.   But head coach Kerrie Stewart is the dean of coaches in the girls' 8th region, having leading the Bedford Bunch for over two decades.    The Lady Raiders always raise their game during All-A tournament time.   

Eminence is trying to rebuild after a tremendous season (19-5) last year.   Eminence is 0-6 against 8th Region teams and has struggled to score this season, averaging just 13 ppg.   Their two wins so far have both come by virtue of a COVID forfeit.   Though a definite long shot, the Lady Warriors will be playing on their home court.

Carroll County will meet Eminence in round one, the first meeting this year between the two 31st district rivals.    Carroll is 4-7 on the year, but the Lady Panthers are 4-4 in their last 8 games and 2-2 overall against 8th Region opponents.   Carroll beat Trimble County, 49-42, but took losses to the two tournament favorites, 79-36, to Walton-Verona and 70-50 to Owen County.

All games will be broadcast - FREE LIVE HIGH DEFINITION VIDEO - on www.pegasussportsky.com

All broadcasts will also be archived on the site for one year.

CM

• Thanks 1

Among the announcers who will be working with me this coming week:

- Frank Wright - former boys' coach at Mercer County and girls' coach at South Oldham and Ballard.

- Enoch Welch - former boys' coach at Henry County

- Todd Gilley - former girls' coach at Henry County and Oldham County; retired AD at Henry County.

- Tom Hawkins - former 8th Region official and HS football and baseball coach.

CM

• Like 1

Walton-Verona won both the boys' and the girls' 8th Region All-A last year.   

It was the third time in the last four years that W-V has swept the All-A titles (2018, 2019, 2021)

Walton-Verona also swept both titles in 2010 - four times in the past 12 years!

Only two other schools have ever swept the boys' and girls' 8th Region All-A titles in the same year:

Owen County 2003

Carroll County 2005

1 hour ago, ColonelMike said:

Among the announcers who will be working with me this coming week:

- Frank Wright - former boys' coach at Mercer County and girls' coach at South Oldham and Ballard.

- Enoch Welch - former boys' coach at Henry County

- Todd Gilley - former girls' coach at Henry County and Oldham County; retired AD at Henry County.

- Tom Hawkins - former 8th Region official and HS football and baseball coach.

CM

That is one heck of a lineup!

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

That is one heck of a lineup!

I try to surround myself with people much smarter than I am....

Coach Welch is a new addition to the Pegasus announcing corps... 😀    He has coached other places prior to Henry County, but I just can't remember them all....🙄

1 minute ago, ColonelMike said:

I try to surround myself with people much smarter than I am....

Coach Welch is a new addition to the Pegasus announcing corps... 😀    He has coached other places prior to Henry County, but I just can't remember them all....🙄

It is a real good idea.