Sign in to follow this  
bugatti

NBA Season to Begin December 22nd

72-game season. Quick turnaround from the end of the recently completed playoffs, but the players and owners really had no other option. They already knew the 2020 - 2021 calendar was shot, so the goal is to get this season complete a month before the Olympics and have the calendar fully reset beginning Fall/Winter 2021.

Some talk the schedules will be a series type format to cut down on travel. One positive that came out of the bubble - for as "grueling" as it apparently was - is not hopping on an airplane to play a single game. So, for example, next year you may see the Lakers travel to Houston and will play a couple games.

Why 72 games? That is collectively agreed upon to count as a full season and players to receive full salary.

Expect a lot of load managing. Danny Green hinted LeBron will take off the first month. I will believe it when I see it. His GOAT case is to build up life time achievement numbers. He will be there.

Many players (leadership - LeBron, et al.) didn't want the early turnaround, but you have to consider the majority of the league has had more than ample rest. It does suck if you had a deep playoff run. On balance they had a four month break before the bubble.

And then there are the Toronto/Tampa Raptors. 😄  

I just hope they don't screw up the ice for the Lightning. The Maple Leafs have not sniffed a Cup Final in 52 years and have only made the conference finals twice since the Raptors came to town in 1995. Yikes!!!

First round of testing came back and 48 players tested positive for COVID, as each player is reporting to camp. This quick turnaround and shortened preseason (set to begin on the 11th) is going to benefit your veteran groups. The NBA is slow releasing their schedule as the season unfolds to account for makeup days.

Sign in to follow this