Pick your Covid experiment

ThrowItDeep

Regardless of what side you are on, I can't keep but thinking that our approach is totally opposite of what it should be. Schools are either starting back in early August or in our case, after Labor Day. We are a small district with about 2,000 total students. Others have many, many more. 

I've heard people say, "We don't want to let athletics starting to hinder the start of school." I think that is not the right thought process. It sounds good, but why open up the schools without a small "test run"?

I hate to make anyone a guinea pig, but why not allow fall sports to practice normal "with some precautions"? We probably have around 100 athletes that play fall sports. They are some of the most well-conditioned we have. If they were able to be around each other, practice like normal, be in the locker room some, etc., we would be able to see if the virus spreads like crazy or not at all.

Why not experiment with 100 kids as opposed to, in our case, 2,000 kids? 

Because once you open those school doors, its going to be an experiment, whatever you believe. 

I'm all for sports starting back and playing right now. But, I'm also for "practicing" before going into a "game". 

So let sports be a practice for our schools' upcoming game.

As I mentioned in the other thread, any "experiment" on kids is a bad idea.  And also remember, you're not just experimenting on the kids.  You've also got adults involved, including coaches, trainers, parents/guardians. Running a bunch of kids and adults out as guinea pigs is a terrible idea, one that's potentially life threatening to some.

• Like 1