Strong to Severe Storms possible Tues 6/9/2020

nWo

Scattered strong to severe storms are expected Tuesday over parts of the Ohio Valley. A few tornadoes will possible in addition to localized wind damage. At this time it appears that the risk should occur through the morning into the afternoon as storms spread eastward. There is also the possibility of conditions being favorable for severe weather probability through the afternoon and into the evening hours. For now, it looks like the best area for the formations of these storms is west of I-65. That area is covered by a Category 2 Slight Risk Area. A category1 Marginal Risk Area extends eastward from I-65 to about Mt. Sterling.

KY_swody2.png

The time period covered by the NAM 3km radar is from 11 am to 8 pm EDT

floop-nam4km-2020060818.refcmp.us_ov.gif

Check back in the morning for update.

Isolated severe storms may form in portions of western Kentucky. Locally damaging winds and brief short-lived tornadoes will be the primary hazards in association with the remnants of tropical system Cristobal. The Storm Prediction Center has western Kentucky in a Slight Risk Area. A Marginal Risk Area also exists east of I-65.

KY_swody1.png

The best timing for storm development appears to be from 6 am to 2 pm CDT.

floop-hrrr-2020060906.refcmp.us_ov.gif

I will be monitoring the situation throughout the day and post updates whenever possible.

From the National Weather Service Paducah:

Scattered storms are expected today, some of which may become severe this afternoon. Locally torrential downpours and gusty winds will be the main threats. Isolated, brief tornadoes will be possible, especially from mid afternoon into the early evening hours.

In the atmosphere we have today, if any tornadoes do form they will be of the type that spin up very suddenly, possibly with very little advance notice. If you are in a mobile home or other particularly vulnerable location, you may wish to seek shelter in a more secure spot well before storms actually approach.

If you feel you may need to go to a public tornado shelter today, the CDC recommends preparing a "go kit" with personal need items including hand sanitizer and cloth face coverings.