Lightning 4 Kings 3 SO (NHL)

swamprat

That was fun.

After blowing a 2 goal lead in the third and falling behind 3-2, the Bolts kicked it back in gear and forced the game to OT and then to a shootout.

Brayden Point opened the scoring with a power play goal 1:05 into the first period and Anthony Cirelli redirected a shot from Braydon Colburn to make it 2-0 after one period. The Bolts hit the goal post 3 times in the second, but could not get one to go in. In the third, LA scored off a rebound and Vassy made a serious error allowing the puck to be stolen from his stick resulting the the tying score. Vasilevskiy and the Lightning looked all out of sorts and 36 seconds later, Austin Wagner gave LA the lead scoring off a pass from Trevor Lewis. That woke the Bolts up as a minute after the Wagner goal, a perfect pass from Steven Stamkos to J.T. Miller resulted in the goal that would tie the game back up.

In OT, LA managed only one shot on goal, the Lightning 4, but nobody scored.

In the 4th round of the shootout Victor Hedman put a wrist shot passed Jack Campbell and Andrei Vasilevskiy saved a shot by Justin Brown to preserve the win.

Tampa Bay has now won 9 in a row, tying a franchise record for most wins in a row, set in 2016. They have 100 points and are only the 4th team in NHL history to get to 100 in 63 games. They became the first team in NHL history with 47 wins after just 62 games and extended that record this evening.

I was able to catch the tail end of this one and it was fun to watch. I know that with the current point system structure in the NHL, a team can pick up a point for an OT/SO loss so the rules are a little more beneficial in the modern area versus those Canadiens/Bruins teams but this is still an amazing feat. This team is LOADED and can beat you so many ways.

Side note: My sister (who is not a hockey fan at all) is vacationing in Tampa and sent me pics of her sitting 12 rows from the ice last night. Hopefully she was bit by the hockey bug and will start following.

I was able to catch the tail end of this one and it was fun to watch. I know that with the current point system structure in the NHL, a team can pick up a point for an OT/SO loss so the rules are a little more beneficial in the modern area versus those Canadiens/Bruins teams but this is still an amazing feat. This team is LOADED and can beat you so many ways.

Side note: My sister (who is not a hockey fan at all) is vacationing in Tampa and sent me pics of her sitting 12 rows from the ice last night. Hopefully she was bit by the hockey bug and will start following.

What section? This is what it looked like from 12 rows up in section 103, last night.

lightning190225s.jpg