Boyd County 61 Russell 41

Russell pounced early, leading 7-0 about 90 seconds into the game. Boyd answered with a 30-7 run over the next ten minutes or so and never looked back. The Lady Lions didn't exactly put on a shooting clinic, but they made 12 threes (they shot very poorly inside the arc) and were tough on the glass. Credit both defenses tonight, but especially Boyd's. They forced quite a few Russell turnovers and didn't give the Lady Devils too many good looks at the basket.

You take Savannah Wheeler away and Boyd is very beatable. Like I have said in the past, they will take a step backwards next year. Russell should have Aubrey Hill back and all but Lakie Sanders and McKenah Morris. Along with an undefeated JV team.

You take Savannah Wheeler away and Boyd is very beatable. Like I have said in the past, they will take a step backwards next year. Russell should have Aubrey Hill back and all but Lakie Sanders and McKenah Morris. Along with an undefeated JV team.

This is shaping up to be another season with 20+ wins, a district title, and potentially multiple region tournament wins. But it could also be a major 'what if' season for the Lady Devils. As in, what if Aubrey hadn't suffered that season ending injury. She's such a difference maker. It really hurts them not having her out there. I'm by no means shoveling dirt on Russell's chances of winning the region, because they have a very good team and coach. But it doesn't bode well for Russell when Boyd County has a bad shooting night (27% from the field) and still beats you by 20 on your home court.

They get another crack at Boyd in a couple of weeks, so we'll see what kind of strides Russell makes between now and then.