Your Family's Military History

Kentucky Windage

Maternal Grandpa serve during WWII but never deployed overseas

Uncle by marriage did a tour in Vietnam but is very hesitant to talk about anything to do with his tour

Uncle (Mom's Brother), served during Vietnam but Hawaii was as close as he got to Vietnam...did get to see Elvis in 1973

First Cousin, served and retired from Army as an E8 (First Sgt) served in Korea, Alaska and Germany then froze rank at E8 and spent the last 4 years teaching at Scranton University...he is now principal at a local middle school.

Another First Cousin served in the Air Force during Operation Iraqi Freedom and left the Air Force as a Captain, but spent the majority of his time as a Lieutenant...yes you guessed it his first name Daniel so he was always known as Lt. Dan.

A Cousin by marriage was in the infantry when the first boots on the ground landed in Iraq during Iraqi Freedom...I'm not sure of his rank achieved by I know he carried a SAW in combat.

Found documents during family tree info gathering that actually shows two uncles (brothers) fought on different sides in the Civil War

Found through family tree research that my wife's 15th or 16th great grandfather was a Templar Knight of some distinction. Googling his name actually brings up discussion of his capture by Knights Hospitalier and subsequent torture as the Templars were dismantled.

One genealogy book my mom had, said that we were distant cousins with Patton. I have yet to verify that and now that she has passed away I can't find that book of research completed by one of her cousins so I am a bit skeptical of this.

One of my wife's best friends tops all of ours, as her great uncle was Sgt. Alvin York

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic