Jason Mays New Ashland Head Coach

I’d be shocked based on Strader’s wife’s social media post.

Yeah, that is quite the lengthy read. Its funny how she and other people say "its all politics". But its quite the opposite..if Jason Strader would have been hired THAT would have been politics. The assistant coach, an Ashland guy, etc etc. But guess what they went with someone with NO Ashland connection that I know of, which IS THE OPPOSITE OF POLITICS. I think we can all agree that Strader seems like a good guy who is dedicated to kids and coaching. Buuuut he was what like 6-23 at Russell (also, what "Ashland guy" leaves to coach Russell???), so that resume doesn't really stack up to a guy with 10 successful years coaching college basketball. To anyone that is complaining that their friend didn't get the job, please grow up. Kudos to the Ashland Admins for hiring the best man for the job and not caving to the pressure they felt from the crew that was lobbying for Strader. Good luck Coach Mays!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He left to coach Russell because they wanted him unlike Ashland that told him he wouldnt even get an interview that year when both the Russell and Ashland job were open. As far as the 6-23 record, that program was in pretty bad shape when he went out there, trust me. It was going to take a couple of years to get it turned back on the right track.

He left to coach Russell because they wanted him unlike Ashland that told him he wouldnt even get an interview that year when both the Russell and Ashland job were open. As far as the 6-23 record, that program was in pretty bad shape when he went out there, trust me. It was going to take a couple of years to get it turned back on the right track.

Well I just find it hard for people to say "Ashland guy blah blah blah, go Tomcats etc. when you went and coached (poorly) at a RIVAL school against us. Call me crazy if you want. I'm not a coach never have been, never will be, but you wouldn't catch me dead on a Russell or Boyd Co sideline. Pay your dues, keep working, maybe eventually you become Ashland's head coach. Family griping about it on social media is also a poor look. Not sure what that accomplishes. With that being said I hope he stays on staff, seems like a great assistant!

I was just going by what you had said in the open job thread. That mark it down that Strader would get the job. I always thought if they had planned to give him the job it would have been done in a couple of weeks or less. I figured when it went on this long they never planned on staying inside the program unless no one else was interested. I also think Ashland still garners a lot of attention. It is a prestigious job plus with the weakness of the 16th overall there is a great chance to experience some success.

Yeah there was a big push for Strader from a pretty sizeable group of Tomcat fans, which is why I and several others figured he would get the job. Personally I couldn't see firing Howell after the job he has done in a short period of time, to essentially make a lateral move. Imo, what it amounts to is Howell upset some parents and was fired and at that point there was a big push for Strader, who is also a good coach as well as a good person, while the Ashland job seemed sketchy due to Howell getting fired after essentially getting the program on the right track. The in house hire just seem fitting given the situation and the push from fans for Strader.

That said, after some time passed, like you, I figured the job was up in the air and had heard about a couple of college coaches that were interested. At that point I figured the job wasn't going to Strader but also wasn't sure who would land it so I kept quiet about it.

Honestly the job garnered more interest than I expected it would and I really feel like Mark Swift made a home run hire. In a way I feel bad for coach Howell as well as coach Strader but I feel like Swift made the right hire. There were no politics involved in this hire and they hired the best man they could get. You can't ask for any more than that. I'm doubtful that it happens but would really love to see Jason stay on as an assistant.

Russell went 5-25 under Strader.

This is the second consecutive hire Ashland has made with a coach who has never coach a varsity HS game.

The resume looks good for Coach Mays. Will have possibly the most talent in the region.

Best of luck to him.

Russell went 5-25 under Strader.

This is the second consecutive hire Ashland has made with a coach who has never coach a varsity HS game.

The resume looks good for Coach Mays. Will have possibly the most talent in the region.

Best of luck to him.

Yes, with Robinson, a healthy Ryan Bryant, Cole Villers, Cade Brandt....and cant forget about Hunter Mays, Ethan Hudson, and Josh Bradley the Tomcats should be very good. Also, don't sleep on rising soph Ethan Sellars.

Yes, with Robinson, a healthy Ryan Bryant, Cole Villers, Cade Brandt....and cant forget about Hunter Mays, Ethan Hudson, and Josh Bradley the Tomcats should be very good. Also, don't sleep on rising soph Ethan Sellars.

Sellars will only be a Freshman...

I'm excited to see what Mays will bring to the table. Unlike college, you get what you get in high school. I know these boys liked to run, but could also slow it down and take the air out of the ball when needed. Does anyone know what style of ball he likes to play? I'm a big proponent of adapting to the style of your team rather than forcing my style on players that may or may not be able to play that way. Just curious.