Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Invitational Tournament Ref's

Featured Replies

In the invitational tournaments that are out there do all the refs come from within the region that the host school is located or some from other regions? I was wondering about the Ashland Inv., 5/3 King of The Bluegrass, Cumberland Falls Inv., Paintsville & Berea tournaments, Toyota Classic, Hoop It UP. Which way is best? I think a mixer of inside and outside the host school's region would be the best. But would like to know what other people think.

In the invitational tournaments that are out there do all the refs come from within the region that the host school is located or some from other regions? I was wondering about the Ashland Inv., 5/3 King of The Bluegrass, Cumberland Falls Inv., Paintsville & Berea tournaments, Toyota Classic, Hoop It UP. Which way is best? I think a mixer of inside and outside the host school's region would be the best. But would like to know what other people think.

 

In some of these tourneys refs are used from through out the other regions, but in some of them the refs just come from the region who is hosting the tourney. For example in the WYMT tourney, 13th,14th, and 15th officials are used and if your region team is playing then you can't call that game as an official. So this year since there are 4 14th region teams in the tourney, there will be no 14th region official call the first round of games. I feel this is the best way to run a tourney, if you have people come in from all over the place to play, you should try and have some different officials call that don't have any ties to that region, who can be unbiased! I think that is the most fair way to do tourneys!

Scheduling refs to work, can be an exhaustive task and if last second changes are needed, it can be difficult.

 

Some let their Region Secretary assign, while other TD's delegate this responsibility. If you have all teams from one Region, it can be a little easier to schedule, rather than differing Regions or out of state.

I was just looking through some of the forums and while I am not an "expert" on this topic, I do know that the Ashland Invitational Tournament used a combination of local officials and officials from other associations for the tournament during Coach Flynn's tenure.

 

The Christmas tournament at Lexington Catholic is officiated by the local association. I think the same association also works the Berea tournament.

 

With a few exceptions, I think most of the schools that host a tournament use the same officials that work the regular season games.

 

Strike3 makes a good point. I'm sure it's a difficult task.

The KOB is done by the local refs from the 6th and 7th Region. They are assigned by the signing secretary Bobby McGrath.

In the invitational tournaments that are out there do all the refs come from within the region that the host school is located or some from other regions? I was wondering about the Ashland Inv., 5/3 King of The Bluegrass, Cumberland Falls Inv., Paintsville & Berea tournaments, Toyota Classic, Hoop It UP. Which way is best? I think a mixer of inside and outside the host school's region would be the best. But would like to know what other people think.

 

 

Bubba thinks this might be one of them " Double- Edged Questions"....I say why host an Invitational tournament and not use the best in your region to do the "Callin"? Who would want to pay a big travel cost to bring in say "someone from Lexington" to call a tournament in say.... Clay County when you have qualified people in your area? Now if you have a budget as big as the ocean then why not bring in John Claugherty or some of them NBA fellers.. I see no problem with going outside as long as all teams have the outside officals. Problem comes in when a local team gets their top dogs to call their games and then another team gets a total outside crew. That there would not seem to fair to Bubba. So to answer your question, if you had a tournament where plenty of money was on hand then get the best you can get regardless of the area. If not then you better get the best local officals you can find.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.