Union County: What Do You Know?

gchs_uk9

Union County is off to a nice start this season with three wins in as many games. They'll be a heavy favorite over Ballard Memorial this weekend. What do you know about the Braves? Can they compete with Caldwell County and/or Paducah Tilghman in their district? There aren't many Union posters here but they appear to be a team on the verge of making noise in Class 3A.

Union County is off to a nice start this season with three wins in as many games. They'll be a heavy favorite over Ballard Memorial this weekend. What do you know about the Braves? Can they compete with Caldwell County and/or Paducah Tilghman in their district? There aren't many Union posters here but they appear to be a team on the verge of making noise in Class 3A.

GC,

Good call on Union County! They really weren't on my radar until they knocked off a solid Madisonville North Hopkins squad last week. They had played Marion County and Webster County prior to that in games you'd expect them to win and to their credit they did. But the Madisonville game was different, as Madisonville was averaging about 400 yards a game on the ground and Union held them to under 150 yards rushing. VERY Impressive.

They have roughly 550 yards rushing and 375 yards passing through 3 games on the season, while allowing about 150 on the ground and 314 in the air on the season. So they are playing very solid football. What I like about them most is that they are a senior laden team. While I don't know much about their O or DLines (I'm anticipating they have some wrestlers out there in those roles - Union County has a STOUT Wrestling Program!), their SR QB Jacob Winter doesn't throw it a ton, but is 12 for 24 on the year for 373 yards, 6 TDs and 3 INTs. That equates to about 25 yards a completion. So they run to set up the pass obviously.

Their primary ball handler is SR Christopher Bledsoe who has rushed for 312 yards and 4 TDs on the season. Those numbers won't blow you away, but if you play good defense they are Solid.

On defense, SR Logan Thomas leads the way with 22 tackles and Sr James Hutchinson has picked off 4 passes through 3 games! Also impressive.

I got to see Union County in the Central Hardin 7v7 back in July and I have to admit I wasn't expecting much, but watched their Elimination Bracket Game against 6A North Hardin and was really impressed with how they competed and how their skill guys made plays and they beat North Hardin, which I didn't expect.

I'm not sure they can beat Caldwell County, but the game is up in Morganfield and that will give the Braves a punchers chance I think. Against Tilghman, I would anticipate that Tilghman will have injuries to deal with after the schedule they have been through. Also, Tilghman is a run first team; so was Madisonville. So you have to like Union County's chances to compete in that one, but they have to travel to Paducah. Don't count out Trigg County either. While I don't expect them to win the District, it would not surprise me for them to pull a District Upset somewhere along the way! Tilghman and Union only beat Trigg by 3 last year, but not sure how much Trigg lost honestly! So it should be a great year in 3A District 1! So hope this helps!