Random Thoughts from the Weekend

Cubster

The weekend provided some great sports moments in the area and the nation. I will touch on a few of the highlights of the sports weekend.

-Nathaniel Davidson is drawing to comparisons to the last great Ram quarterback Tyler Boyles. Davidson threw for 435 yards and seven touchdowns in Raceland’s big win over Lucasville Valley. Word from Ram Land is longtime coach Randy Vanderhoof has been instrumental in Davidson’s huge improvement this season.

-The Russell defense continues to shine. They have allowed only 20 points in four games. This should bode well for the Devils as they enter district play this week.

-Greenuo County’s Jake Wright had a breakout game in the Musketeers win over Lawrence County. The speedy senior averaged 27 yards a carry and had TD runs of 80 and 75 yards. The Musketeers are poised for their first winning season in years.

-Ashland added to the woes of the Ironton Tigers with a dominating 27-3 win. The Tomcats are improving each week with a strong defense and a big play offense led by Braxton Ratliff and wideout Tate Dowdy.

-The Russell boys and girls cross country continue to collect victories. The latest was won at their own course on Sarurday. Boyd County’s Elijah Miller turned in another dominant performance to win the boys’ race while Ashland freshman Rebekah Howard won the girls’ race.

-The Kentucky Wildcats won their first game with a 62-42 decision over New Mexico. UK fans still are complaining about the 122nd ranked defense the Cats are fielding weekly. A win over South Carolina and Cat fans will be chirping about a bowl game. I was just happy with the first win.

-The Ohio State Buckeyes had an impressive road win over Oklahoma. Urban Meyer just reloads in Columbus. The youngest team in Division I football now sits #2 in the nation. Another national championship would could be on the horizon.

-The most impressive performance of the weekend was the beatdown Louiville put on Florida State. Area fans can see the #4 Cardinals in person by venturing to Huntington Saturday as they take on The Thundering Herd of Marshall. Will the Cards be looking ahead to their showdown in Death Valley on October 1? I think they are just too good for The Herd.

-The Bengals offense was too little too late in a 24-16 loss to the Steelers. The game was really lacking emotion as both teams seemed afraid to do anything remotely over the top. Big Ben was the difference once again as he made all the big plays Pittsburgh needed. A couple questionable calls hurt the Bengals but the better team won Sunday. The Bengals must get their running game going to be a factor in the post season.

High school basketball practice officially begins in 25 days. I know that is music to a lot of fans’ ears. 16th region teams will all be trying to get that regional trophy out of Sandy Hook.

#PearlVision

Check out my blog at pearlvisionblog.wordpress.com