2016 Crossfit Games

woodsrider

The 2016 Crossfit Games started a few minutes ago for the individual men and women athletes. In a surprise event, because it's the 10th anniversary of the first games, they loaded on the athletes on a plane at 4:00am ish this morning and flew them from LAX to San Jose, where they drove to "Crossfit Ranch" in Aromas, CA where the first 3 years of the games were held. The first event is a 7K trail run (lots of hills) and will be directly followed by a deadlift ladder. These are repeats of events from the 2009 games with the exception of a harder run course and heavier deadlifts.

There are 2 ladies from Kentucky participating as individuals his year and 1 lady with a team. The two individuals are:

Jennifer Smith - Lexington from Crossfit Maximus

Kristi Eramo - Louisville from Four Barrel Crossfit

Lindy Barber is the owner of Four Barrel Crossfit in Louisville and has competed in the past as an individual. However this year she is competing on, 4 time men's champion, Rich Froning's team.

The events today can be viewed on Crossfit Games facebook page via livestream.

After 4 events for the individuals:

Kristi Eramo sits in 8th place. Her best finishes were 3rd in event 1 (7K trail run) and 2nd in event 4 from this morning (500M ocean swim). I believe she was a collegiate swimmer at the University of Louisville so no surprise she did well in event 4.

Jennifer Smith hasn’t done as well. She suffered an injury during event 1 (I’ve read a turned ankle and also torn plantar fascia) and wasn’t able to complete the run or complete in event 2 (dead lift ladder). She was able to finish event 3 and did pretty well finishing in 10th. She finished in 12th in the swim event. She currently sits in 29th. Too bad she was injuried because I think she could have finished in the top 10 overall.

The teams have completed 2 events.

Lindy Barber’s team sits in 1st place overall. They took the win in event 1 and 5th in event 2.

I'm pretty sure Zach Sowder from Scott High School/Georgetown University competed in these games last year.

Looks like he made it to regionals but didn't qualify for the games. Missed out on regionals by just a few places this year.

Eramo is in 7th after 7 events. She has stayed pretty steady so far and looks to have a chance at a top ten in her first games.

Smith is still competing however with her foot injury she is struggling. Currently sitting in 34th.

Barber's team is starting to run away with the team competition. Currently 1st with more than a 100pt lead.