Highlands 62 Dayton 52

Dayton was on fire in 1st quarter. 6 out of 7 from three I heard built a lead. HHS got after it in the 2nd and I am biased but LaFrange made things happen in period 2 to cut deficit. Bully birds break it open in the 3rd. Daugherty had some real nice assists to Finfrock. I believe HHS got the lead to 20 and went to the bench. Mitchell Cain named to the all tourney team. Don't sleep on Dayton they are a scrappy bunch.

Highlands trailed 26 to 21 at the half. Could not throw one in from the ocean in the half and way too many turnovers. Dayton had either 5 or 6 three point shots in the half when allowed to get their feet set. In second half, completely different ballgame. Forced them to move their feet and thus they struggled quite a bit from the perimeter. Lead was around 18 for a large portion of the second half and ended up 10 after the bench was emptied with about 2 minutes or so to play in the game.

These kids give maximum effort and it is becoming quite evident that each kid understands what their role on the team is and there is not much of a "I have to get mine attitude." Some guys need to slow down and let the game come to them rather than trying to force themselves on the game, but then again it is only game 4 of the season.

Birds get a short 2 day break for the holidays and then play the 'Cru on Tuesday night away, Walton on Wednesday at TMC and then Finneytown on Saturday at TMC.

If you have not made it out to a game yet, I would encourage you to do so over the holiday week and I think you will like what you see. By no means is this an elite team in the region, but it is a pleasure to watch them compete for 32 minutes and not give an inch.

Like I said they can be a dangerous team in the next few months! Maybe not elite like joat said, but if you over look them it could be a long game for whoever does that!