6th District

Emmitt

Henderson, Union, and Webster--Hard to tell much at this early stage except as usual district appears to be between Henderson and Webster but Union probably a little better than expected. Webster a good start at 6-0 and will likely be undefeated against Ky schools before it's 1-5-16 date with Christian County. Jon Stubblefield leads scoring at 17 per game. Union off to a pretty good start at 4-2 but 4 victories against teams they would routinely beat. James Robison leads Union in scoring at 22 per game. Henderson is the big question mark at this early stage at 0-3 but don't be fooled by this, all three losses against top notch competition, have had plenty practice time, game with McLean Friday will be their 2nd game in two weeks. When and if they get Taye Calloway back and there are some rumors to the contrary, they will still be the team to beat in the 6th. Ware leads Henderson in scoring at 10 per game. All in all it should be an interesting year in the 6th.

I know the general consensus year in and year out is that Henderson will win the 6th. I just don't see how they manage to get it done this year. Last years team was probably one of the best in school history but they literally lost everybody. They brought back nobody with any kind of in game expirence and losing the Calloway kid just makes matters worse although I don't think it would of made a difference. I think Webster wins the district. They brought back far more players with expirence and I don't think Henderson or Union will be able to stop the 6ft 8 Edmonson boy. And really to be honest Webster out coaches Henderson. Jon Newton is the best coach in the district and usually plays Henderson close with far less talent. This year he has equal if not better talent than Henderson. I read that Union expects to have the Calloway kid cleared and ready to play by January. If that's the case it will be interesting to see how much better he makes them. It's one thing to lose the best player on your team. It's a double whammy to lose him and him suiting up for your district rival. If he's cleared and makes them better which he should. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Henderson finish 3rd in the district and completely miss the region tournament for the first time in idk how long.

Calloway enrolling at Union a factor no doubt but what kind of factor. After watching Hendo dismantle McLean when Webster beat them on a last shot 3, well you can draw your own conclusion - personally I don't think Henderson misses Calloway, his lack of discipline and attitude was a distraction to the team. Let's don't mince words here, we all know it works, if Smithhart thought he was good for the team he would have figured out a way to keep him. Big question now is how he will fit in with Union, probably same distraction. How will he affect the chemistry of Union? I know the Coach and AD are smiling ear to ear but parents and players might not be so happy. Going to be interesting. UC off to a pretty good start, won tonight 84-73 over Estil County. Bo Robison had 52 points, two other players averaging double figures and Calloway coming in, going to be an interesting 6th rest of year.

As far as the Henderson County beating McLean by more than Webster I don't think it matters much. I mean I understand the rationale behind that thinking. But that's pretty typical for Webster Co. The way they play ball is to slow the game down and play good defense so a lot of their wins are low scoring affairs in which they don't win by much. Il admit I haven't watched Henderson this year but in years past they've always played a lot of man to man. If that's the case I just don't see who Henderson has that's going to be able to slow down the House & Edmonson boys in the paint. As far as the Calloway kid goes. It could be a little controversial letting him join mid season but I think most of the players would be for it if he's going to make their team better. I disagree that Smithart "didn't think he was good enough for the team." All I've heard so far this season from the Henderson side is wait untill Taye comes back there going to be better. Then to just not only not having him anymore but that he's going to be playing for the opposition could end up being a big deal in the 6th district in my opinion.

As far as the Henderson County beating McLean by more than Webster I don't think it matters much. I mean I understand the rationale behind that thinking. But that's pretty typical for Webster Co. The way they play ball is to slow the game down and play good defense so a lot of their wins are low scoring affairs in which they don't win by much. Il admit I haven't watched Henderson this year but in years past they've always played a lot of man to man. If that's the case I just don't see who Henderson has that's going to be able to slow down the House & Edmonson boys in the paint. As far as the Calloway kid goes. It could be a little controversial letting him join mid season but I think most of the players would be for it if he's going to make their team better. I disagree that Smithart "didn't think he was good enough for the team." All I've heard so far this season from the Henderson side is wait untill Taye comes back there going to be better. Then to just not only not having him anymore but that he's going to be playing for the opposition could end up being a big deal in the 6th district in my opinion.

Henderson has played all kinds of zone this year. If ware keeps getting better they will beat webster. And for Calloway Union can have him and coach sterns better not forget he lost the henderson job because of some players in a shower this kid has been in more trouble then any of those kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen the Colonels play and they are improving quickly. They are the best in the 2nd with Webster a close second and Union far below. If the Calloway kid is cleared to play, will give Union a boost but still not compete with Henderson and Webster. Union and Webster kick off district play this week with Union visiting Webster Friday night.

First 6th District game tonight as Union travels to Webster for a 7:30 match-up with Webster being a huge favorite. Even worse for Union, it's being reported that Bo Robison and Jacob Tapp, the two seniors and leading scorers will not play because of injuries.

The 6th resumes Friday with Union at Henderson. Union 0-1 in the district after losing to Webster last Friday 70-61 as Jon Stubblefield led the charge with 26 points and killed Union hitting 5-6 three's, most in the 4th quarter. The Braves face another huge test with Henderson being a huge favorite, 21 in one poll and 17 in another poll plus home court. Kevin Patton summed it up today in his article saying

"Henderson has lost three of it's last four but play Union County Friday". I think we all know the Colonels win this game.

Did not figure to be much of a game but surprised it was that bad. Union just not a very good defensive team and if you put the clamps on Robison, its a gimmie. Bo had 10 or 12 points and is averaging 24. Smithhart is a smart coach, he double teamed Robison at mid court, kept him in front of the defense not allowing him to get to the rim and score or get fouled and make free throws. I thought he played hard and was worn out at the end. I think he is a better player than he looked tonight. You have to give Smithhart credit. This team is getting better every time they play. The 6th is a gimmie for the Colonels.

Did not figure to be but surprised it was this bad. Union not a very good defensive team and that showed tonight, 12 threes and outrebounded by a bunch by the Colonels. They put the clamps on Robison who was averaging 24 a game. He had 10-12 points but had several assists. Smithhart is a smart coach. He double team Robison at mid court, kept his defense in front of him all night keeping him from driving to the basket. I do think Robison is a much better player than he showed tonight. Union doesn't seem to help him much with screens, picks ect. Henderson is getting better with each game and the 6th is a gimmie for this bunch.