Walton-Verona 60 Cooper 50

Final from Walton-Verona

Cooper jumps out to an early lead in the first couple of possessions, then the Bearcats get warmed up and build a 14 point lead by halftime. Morgan Simpson had at least 3 first half 3's and according to Walton's twitter feed, Ison had 14 at the half.

Both teams played just about even in the 3rd quarter, until Walton opened up an 18 point lead by midway through the 4th. Cooper did not quit. They picked up the pace and was able to cut the lead down to 8. They had the help of some questionable Walton decision making, but finally, some very late Walton free throws secured the 10 point victory for the Bearcats.

Cooper's Lexi Held seems to be able to score about whenever she wants. Heck of a ball player. Hailey Anderson played well and is a very smart ball player. She just makes good decisions. Ison and Simpson led the Bearcats, but I do not know what they had. Cooper was having trouble guarding them both inside and out.

I was impressed with Rachel Lehkamp from Walton. She wreaked havoc on defense tonight, getting loose balls, and coming up with steals.

Congrats to the Bearcats on the win.

Final from Walton-Verona

Cooper jumps out to an early lead in the first couple of possessions, then the Bearcats get warmed up and build a 14 point lead by halftime. Morgan Simpson had at least 3 first half 3's and according to Walton's twitter feed, Ison had 14 at the half.

Both teams played just about even in the 3rd quarter, until Walton opened up an 18 point lead by midway through the 4th. Cooper did not quit. They picked up the pace and was able to cut the lead down to 8. They had the help of some questionable Walton decision making, but finally, some very late Walton free throws secured the 10 point victory for the Bearcats.

Cooper's Lexi Held seems to be able to score about whenever she wants. Heck of a ball player. Hailey Anderson played well and is a very smart ball player. She just makes good decisions. Ison and Simpson led the Bearcats, but I do not know what they had. Cooper was having trouble guarding them both inside and out.

I was impressed with Rachel Lehkamp from Walton. She wreaked havoc on defense tonight, getting loose balls, and coming up with steals.

Congrats to the Bearcats on the win.

Nice breakdown of the game Sevens. Another quality win for the Bearcats. The Bearcats are playing well.

I said it last year that if Simpson can be consistent and take some of the pressure off Ison then Walton can be good, but the key word is consistent and without it from Simpson, then Walton becomes one dimensional and it will hurt them come playoff time.

I said it last year that if Simpson can be consistent and take some of the pressure off Ison then Walton can be good, but the key word is consistent and without it from Simpson, then Walton becomes one dimensional and it will hurt them come playoff time.

Could not agree more. Walton-Verona desperately needs Simpson. When she plays with energy and the confidence that she is capable of, very good things begin to happen for Walton as a whole. The second quarter last night vs Cooper is a great example. She was a huge factor in Walton breaking out a 14 point lead by the half.

I will add, that it will also help as Lehkamp learns to stay out of foul trouble and can stay on the floor more. Last night, not being in foul trouble, she ended up with 8 points, and a bunch of steals. If Walton can start getting that from her consistently on top of Ison and Simpson, that will go a long way also.

Question...do teams in the 8th double or at least shadow Ison when they play? She seems to be responsible for half their points every game.

I have seen different things at random times. Cooper used a box and 1 in the second quarter with Held on Ison, however in doing so, Walton still scored 22 points that quarter. The box and 1 did not account for Simpson, and other perimeter shooters who made Cooper pay in that defense. Simpson had 13 that quarter.

I beleive this stresses the point that Tiger 1 made. When Simpson and even others remain consistent, and I fully believe they will, Walton is pretty good. Teams cannot focus defensively all on one person.

Another point to make is you cannot defend free throws. Ison is pretty decent at getting to the line and knocking them down. It also helps that in late game situations, when other teams are fouling, she is going to be one that Walton tries to make you foul. I am not taking anything away from the kid, but free throws definitely play a big part.

And besides, we still have to play Highlands. I should just tell you that we don't play defense in the 8th, Highlands is free to look right past us. :lol2: