Show Stopped: Ironton, Beechwood Meet

Ram

Show Stopped: Ironton, Beechwood meet for 1st time since '98 outage

Zack Klemme / The Independent

IRONTON The last time Ironton’s and Beechwood’s Tigers tangled in Tanks Memorial Stadium, nothing was decided.

Well, depending on who you ask.

The hyped matchup on Oct. 2, 1998 had regional power and multiple state title winner Ironton hosting Beechwood, owner of a 31-game winning streak and six Class A state championships in the previous seven years.

Sounds like a recipe for a classic, and it was — for as long as the lights cooperated.

Tanks Memorial Stadium went dark twice that night. It was what happened on the last play before the second outage which engendered some confusion: Beechwood’s Adam Robb booted a tiebreaking extra point after Derek Estep hit Jordan Jobe for an 82-yard touchdown.

Link

Great read, I always wondered what really went down that night as there have been rumors and some misinformation through the years, but it sounds like it was as simple as a transformer shorting out and blowing.

Coach Yeagle obviously cared about his kids. I do think he should have accepted Ironton's offer and played the game on Saturday though. That's a pet peeve of mine though, Ashland was shorted a game last season due to mother nature and was almost shorted a game already this season. IMO, if the home team is willing to accommodate you in every way possible you should stay and play the game.

If I were an athletic director I would be writing the contract differently for teams that have long travel distances. I would make them agree to play the game on Saturday if some unforseen event cancelled the Friday night game. With my school paying for lodging and any extra travel expenses obviously. To me that would solve the whole problem, if a team can't agree to that, knowing it in advance, then find another team to play. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

Should be a great game in Ironton this week.