What In The Name of Dwight D. Eisenhower Is Going On?

Run To State

This was not good either.

A woman walking along the shoulder of Interstate 275 was killed when a car, forced off the road by an accident, struck her near the Five Mile Road exit Friday night.

Amy Steinmetz, 28, of Batavia was struck and killed just after 7:30 p.m., according to the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office. The vehicle that struck her was pushed off the road after being rear-ended.

Shannon Jung, 43, of Georgetown was driving westbound through Anderson Township and slowed down for traffic, officials said. Her Chevrolet was then struck from behind by Hyundai driven by Jillian Winland, 23, of Cincinnati.

The collision forced Jung's vehicle off the road and into Steinmetz, according to the Sheriff's Office. Steinmetz was taken to Mercy Hospital Anderson where she was pronounced dead.

The two drivers were not injured in the accident. They were both wearing their seat belts. Officials state the drivers were not impaired or speeding at the time of the wreck.

I-275 westbound was closed at Beechmont Avenue for several hours while emergency crews worked at the scene.

That's sad. Wonder why she was walking on the Interstate. Car broke down?

275 routinely gets backed up late in the afternoon these days for several reasons.

first eastbound 275 gets backed up because of the truck traffic leaving the interstate to get on AA. With all the traffic trying to get onto AA, the stretch between Taylor Mill and the NKU exit is basically two lanes. Brutal.

Westbound traffic backs up nearly as bad thanks to the Independence exit and Turkeyfoot Road exits back to back. Just too many cars trying to get off on these two exits (too much traffic, poorly planned exits for this many people).

Westbound 275 merging into 71 and 75 in Erlanger is just awful in the afternoon. Calling this interchange a design flaw is being kind.

There are a LOT more cars on the road now than 20 years ago. 275 wasn't designed for the kind of traffic Independence, Wilder, Turkeyfoot, et. al. now generate.

Human side:

School did start at NKU and Thomas More this week. Added traffic along 275 and young, likely texting, drivers.

No offense to any of you, but I'm completely convinced people are getting more stupid. My soon-to-be ex proves this to me every day. Dumb people are bad drivers and there's way more dumb people dwelling these days.

The texting and driving thing has got to become more enforceable somehow for cops. It's incredible how many just asinine things I see drivers do and how almost always when I see them, they have a phone in front of them. Both sexes, all ages.

I don't understand why it wasn't a problem a year ago or two years ago. The increase of traffic and trucks using the AA couldn't have increased that much in a year, could it?

I totally agree on the stupid people driving and that they're all ages and both sexes.