Barrett Brown sentenced to 63 months for 'merely linking to hacked material'

HOMELESS CAMEL

In a rebuke to a legion of online supporters and what the journalist and one-time member of Anonymous called a “dangerous precedent”, Barrett Brown was sentenced to 63 months in prison by a federal judge in Dallas on Thursday.

Brown’s backers from across the web had hoped he would be able to walk free with his 31 months of time served for what they insist was “merely linking to hacked material”. But the 33-year-old, who was once considered something of a spokesman for the Anonymous movement, will face more than twice that sentence. The judge also ordered him to pay more than $890,000 in restitution and fines.

In a statement released after his sentencing, Brown was sarcastically upbeat: “Good news!” he wrote. “The US government decided today that because I did such a good job investigating the cyber-industrial complex, they’re now going to send me to investigate the prison-industrial complex.”

Barrett Brown sentenced to 63 months for 'merely linking to hacked material' | Technology | The Guardian

Not this ruling, as I said guilty. My commentary is on the impending rules on even talking of hacking, linking to articles, etc. Discussions and links will be plenty so gov't decides to go after. Can be very arbitrary, retaliatory, etc.

Not this ruling, as I said guilty. My commentary is on the impending rules on even talking of hacking, linking to articles, etc. Discussions and links will be plenty so gov't decides to go after. Can be very arbitrary, retaliatory, etc.

Aren't most laws enforced at the governments discretion?