North Laurel 5 Whitley County 1

Boucher

Good game for the Jags, especially condsidering it was their first game, and had no scrimmages. Nice effort by NL's Sean Evans on the mound, going all 7 innings, and getting the win. Good defense for both teams, but NL had the timely hitting, and played "small ball" as well, laying down a few bunts. NL catcher Brice Hicks had a couple of hits, as did 3rd baseman Chris Maggard.

Good game for the Jags, especially condsidering it was their first game, and had no scrimmages. Nice effort by NL's Sean Evans on the mound, going all 7 innings, and getting the win. Good defense for both teams, but NL had the timely hitting, and played "small ball" as well, laying down a few bunts. NL catcher Brice Hicks had a couple of hits, as did 3rd baseman Chris Maggard.

I know that McWhorter wasn't sure who he was going to start on opening day and ended up going with the junior. Glad to see the Jags get off on a winning note to kick off the season. I am sure McWhorter is happy, especially against a region opponent. Nice game for the Jags. Maggard is a very good player, good hitter and solid fielder, tough as nails. Hicks is really developing into a being a very good catch. Evans is going to be a very good pitcher. All 3 of these young men are juniors and will really show major improvement this season. I heard that Boroviak is back and hitting the long ball (at least at practice) with regularity.

Weren't the Jags ranked in the top 20 at one point last year? I think i remember them going on a pretty big win streak at one point in the year.

They started off slow (0-3), but when they went to Florida, they started on a 15-2 tear (if I remember correctly) including wins over South Laurel, Rockcastle, Southwestern, etc. They lost some solid talent (Blair, Parsley, Brandon Maggard, etc) off that team, but have some good young players who should be ready to step up this season. I am not sure if they made the top 20, but probably did at some point during the streak. They won 22 games last season.