Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cooper 3 Holy Cross 1

Featured Replies

  • Author

This was definitely far from the best match that Cooper has played this year, probably considered a let down coming off of the district match against Ryle Tuesday night. This part of the match is on Cooper, they should have come to play and this did not happen. As expected, Holy Cross tried to pack it in, they also chose to man-mark both Ross and Snow for most of the match so this made it very difficult to mount any sort of offensive attack.

 

The part that was so ugly was the approach that Holy Cross chose to take tonight, lets just call it some pushing and shoving in hopes of getting a reaction... Unfortunately, some of our boys took the bait. By the second half they were not even making an attempt to play the ball, or soccer, it was more about turning it into a scrum. I will give the ref credit for calling a ton of fouls, what I do not understand is why most went without warnings... or cards. Once he did attempt to give a card for a handball in the box, he was not able to, for some reason he did not remember to bring cards with him... I will just leave this alone but how are you not ready to ref when you are the CR. On a couple of plays, the AR raised his flag for what was clearly a foul only to be told to lower it.

 

I have not seen HC play this year so I do not know if this is the norm for them or if it was just how they played tonight, either way, it was very disappointing to see players act the way they did. Intentionally stepping on players feet, taunting coaches and players, trying to get someone to retaliate, etc... really has no place in sports (IMO). Seeing their coach stand by and do nothing to discourage this makes it seem like he was condoning it. I know my perspective might be a little tainted, but hearing two of their parents at the grill discussing how dirty their boys were playing tonight helped confirm what I was seeing play out on the pitch.

This was definitely far from the best match that Cooper has played this year, probably considered a let down coming off of the district match against Ryle Tuesday night. This part of the match is on Cooper, they should have come to play and this did not happen. As expected, Holy Cross tried to pack it in, they also chose to man-mark both Ross and Snow for most of the match so this made it very difficult to mount any sort of offensive attack.

 

The part that was so ugly was the approach that Holy Cross chose to take tonight, lets just call it some pushing and shoving in hopes of getting a reaction... Unfortunately, some of our boys took the bait. By the second half they were not even making an attempt to play the ball, or soccer, it was more about turning it into a scrum. I will give the ref credit for calling a ton of fouls, what I do not understand is why most went without warnings... or cards. Once he did attempt to give a card for a handball in the box, he was not able to, for some reason he did not remember to bring cards with him... I will just leave this alone but how are you not ready to ref when you are the CR. On a couple of plays, the AR raised his flag for what was clearly a foul only to be told to lower it.

 

I have not seen HC play this year so I do not know if this is the norm for them or if it was just how they played tonight, either way, it was very disappointing to see players act the way they did. Intentionally stepping on players feet, taunting coaches and players, trying to get someone to retaliate, etc... really has no place in sports (IMO). Seeing their coach stand by and do nothing to discourage this makes it seem like he was condoning it. I know my perspective might be a little tainted, but hearing two of their parents at the grill discussing how dirty their boys were playing tonight helped confirm what I was seeing play out on the pitch.

 

Be careful how you describe the game. It seems that you are saying Holy Cross played in a defensive mode most of the night. You may hear from some of the whiners and wannabees on here after that description saying you are making excuses for your hearalded team. Personally, I would think they have enough to worry about with their own team's mediocre record.

Edited by groinpull

  • Author

You are probably correct, looking back at my comments, you would think that I was sore because we lost.

 

I actually held back on most of my comments because there was not a good way to describe the action last night without really ruffling some feathers. I am still trying to decide if the most boisterous reaction from their bench last night was when they scored their goal or when Cooper drew a Yellow Card.

You are probably correct, looking back at my comments, you would think that I was sore because we lost.

 

I actually held back on most of my comments because there was not a good way to describe the action last night without really ruffling some feathers. I am still trying to decide if the most boisterous reaction from their bench last night was when they scored their goal or when Cooper drew a Yellow Card.

 

My comments were tongue in cheek. I made similar comments on the CCH/Highlands game and there was some whining going on about them. Sometimes teams play a style that is designed to be ugly and it works to their advantage and sometimes you win and it's still ugly.

This was definitely far from the best match that Cooper has played this year, probably considered a let down coming off of the district match against Ryle Tuesday night. This part of the match is on Cooper, they should have come to play and this did not happen. As expected, Holy Cross tried to pack it in, they also chose to man-mark both Ross and Snow for most of the match so this made it very difficult to mount any sort of offensive attack.

 

The part that was so ugly was the approach that Holy Cross chose to take tonight, lets just call it some pushing and shoving in hopes of getting a reaction... Unfortunately, some of our boys took the bait. By the second half they were not even making an attempt to play the ball, or soccer, it was more about turning it into a scrum. I will give the ref credit for calling a ton of fouls, what I do not understand is why most went without warnings... or cards. Once he did attempt to give a card for a handball in the box, he was not able to, for some reason he did not remember to bring cards with him... I will just leave this alone but how are you not ready to ref when you are the CR. On a couple of plays, the AR raised his flag for what was clearly a foul only to be told to lower it.

 

I have not seen HC play this year so I do not know if this is the norm for them or if it was just how they played tonight, either way, it was very disappointing to see players act the way they did. Intentionally stepping on players feet, taunting coaches and players, trying to get someone to retaliate, etc... really has no place in sports (IMO). Seeing their coach stand by and do nothing to discourage this makes it seem like he was condoning it. I know my perspective might be a little tainted, but hearing two of their parents at the grill discussing how dirty their boys were playing tonight helped confirm what I was seeing play out on the pitch.

 

I've seen HC a couple times this year and if this all happened the way you describe it surprises me. I've known Dave (their coach) for a few years and I don't think he is one to condone or encourage this style of play. I would say your supporting evidence is what you heard at the grill. Maybe the boys took it upon themselves knowing there are a couple "mouths" on Cooper's team. Either way, it shouldn't get that far where it becomes dirty.

  • Author

I don't know their coach, and have not heard anything good, or bad about him... I will say that he did not represent himself well last night... there was plenty of jawing coming from him as well. Everything that I saw coming from him was being directed at our bench, not toward any of the Cooper players. From what I understand, there is some history there, do not know the specifics behind it so I will not comment.

 

It appears that there is a little rivalry going on... but it is not with the players.

I don't know their coach, and have not heard anything good, or bad about him... I will say that he did not represent himself well last night... there was plenty of jawing coming from him as well. Everything that I saw coming from him was being directed at our bench, not toward any of the Cooper players. From what I understand, there is some history there, do not know the specifics behind it so I will not comment.

 

It appears that there is a little rivalry going on... but it is not with the players.

 

Am I to imply that Flesch wasn't engaging in the "banter" back and forth?... he's not exactly quiet.

 

You could say there is some history. Pretty much the whole Cooper coaching staff came from Holy Cross a couple years ago. Sounds like emotions might have gotten to him and the team.

This should never happen.......

As a coach you should know that the game is about the players. I have seen Cooper play this year and the only time you can hear the coaching staff get loud was about fouls. Never directed toward another team or opponents. I have a hard time believing he would stoop to that level.

The players on the other hand ......

They are high school kids that get frustrated or flustered and let emotions run high, it likely that they talk smack.

Hope this thread can get back to being about the players and not coach bashing

  • Author
Am I to imply that Flesch wasn't engaging in the "banter" back and forth?... he's not exactly quiet.

 

You could say there is some history. Pretty much the whole Cooper coaching staff came from Holy Cross a couple years ago. Sounds like emotions might have gotten to him and the team.

 

So you are not left guessing... Comments directed at our bench, but not at players, equals comments being directed toward coaches. I will tell you that some of the HC players also went out of their way to have some discussions with the Cooper coaches, I am thinking that "banter" would not be the right word to describe the conversations that were taking place. I could not clearly hear the discussions from where I was, so I am basing my comments off of the body language and second hand accounts of players that were within earshot.

  • Author
This should never happen.......

As a coach you should know that the game is about the players. I have seen Cooper play this year and the only time you can hear the coaching staff get loud was about fouls. Never directed toward another team or opponents. I have a hard time believing he would stoop to that level.

The players on the other hand ......

They are high school kids that get frustrated or flustered and let emotions run high, it likely that they talk smack.

Hope this thread can get back to being about the players and not coach bashing

 

I am not really sure who you are directing this comment to, but I am sorry if you are taking my account of what happened last night as "coach bashing".

 

I also feel that this thread is about last nights match... which is what my comments have been direct towards.

So you are not left guessing... Comments directed at our bench, but not at players, equals comments being directed toward coaches. I will tell you that some of the HC players also went out of their way to have some discussions with the Cooper coaches, I am thinking that "banter" would not be the right word to describe the conversations that were taking place. I could not clearly hear the discussions from where I was, so I am basing my comments off of the body language and second hand accounts of players that were within earshot.

 

 

Taunting right......should be instant yellow?

I don't know their coach, and have not heard anything good, or bad about him... I will say that he did not represent himself well last night... there was plenty of jawing coming from him as well. Everything that I saw coming from him was being directed at our bench, not toward any of the Cooper players. From what I understand, there is some history there, do not know the specifics behind it so I will not comment.

 

It appears that there is a little rivalry going on... but it is not with the players.

Coaches should never talk to each other in a manner that which the players will feed from negatively. Believe it or not, players look up to coaches as roll models and feed off the emotions of a coach. I see it all the time, a coach gets upset with a ref and then the players do the same.

All I was saying is no player or coach should talk smack to another coach.

Edited by hoops5
Fixed quote tags.

  • Author

I agree with what you are saying 100%. When this does occur, and someone points it out, I do not see it as coach bashing.... IMO.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.